Kadai Paneer is a very simple Paneer recipe among all Paneer recipes. Kadai Paneer can be prepared both dry as well as gravy variety. It goes well with Roti, Paratha or any flavored rice like Jeera Rice, Cabbage Rice or Vegetable Biriyani. As we are using lot of tomatoes to prepare this dish it is better to use ripen red sweet Tomatoes other wise curry may tastes sour.( If tomatoes are sour even adding some sugar may not give desired taste or color ). Freshly roasted and pound spices add a lot of flavor to this curry. It is better to use dried Kashmiri Red Chilies for enhanced color, taste and flavor. No need to puree onions or tomatoes to prepare this humble dish. You can add 2 tablespoon of fresh cream just before serving. The gravy in this curry is not smooth in texture like Butter Paneer ,Palak Paneer , Mutter Paneer, Shahi Paneer or Paneer Tikka Masala.
Preparation Time – 12 Minutes
Cooking Time – 15 Minutes
Serves – 3 to 4 Servings
- Paneer (Cottage Cheese) – 200 gms (cut into cubes)
- Onions – 1 Medium sized (cut into Cubes)
- Tomato – 1 Medium sized (cut into Cubes)
- Capsicum – 1/2 Medium sized (cut in to Cubes)
- Onions – 2 to 3 Medium sized (finely Chopped)
- Tomatoes – 4 to 5 Medium sized (finely chopped)
- Oil – 1 Tablespoon
- Coriander Leaves – Few (For garnishing)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric – A pinch
- Cashew Nuts – 6 To 8 (Optional)
- Ginger – 1 Inch (Cut into juliennes)
- Ginger Garlic paste- 1 Teaspoon
- Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasoori methi) – 1 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ Teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder – ½ Teaspoon
- Salt – 1 Teaspoon(according to taste)
- Fresh Cream – 2 Tablespoon (optional)
Ingredients For Kadai Masala-
- Coriander seeds – 3 Tablespoons
- Whole red chili (Kashmiri mirch) – 3 To 4 (broken in to 2)
- Black pepper – 1 Teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds(Saunf) – 1 Teaspoon
- Cardamon – 3 to 4
- Cumin seeds – 2 Tablespoons
- Dry roast all the whole kadai masala ingredients on slow fire each separately or all together. Keep aside and allow to cool completely.
- Grind to a coarse powder and keep aside. If you do not like course powder grind for 1 more minute.(Not to grind to a very fine powder).We need just 2 tablespoons of this powder to prepare this dish. The remaining powder can be stored in an air tight glass jar for later use.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and cashews. Fry till they turn little golden color and add finely chopped onions and fry till golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 3 minutes or till the raw smell goes.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and allow to cook till oil separates.
- Add onion and capsicum cubes and ginger juliennes. Mix well and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. (onions and capsicum should not become soft. Ensure that they are still crunchy).
- Add paneer cubes and tomato cubes. Toss gently to mix. Add turmeric, kadai masala powder, red chili powder, salt and crushed kasoori methi.(If you want to make it less spicy just reduce the amount of chili powder) . Add 1 cup of water and cook for 2 minutes. Add water according to the desired consistency. Adjust the seasoning(Can add ½ teaspoon of sugar for sweet and sour taste).
- Transfer the kadai paneer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle some ginger juliennes and some kadai masala on top. Garnish with some finely chopped coriander leaves and some cream. Note: Serve kadai paneer along with roti or jeera rice. Kadai masala powder is like a multi purpose powder and can be used to prepare Kadai Chicken,Mixed Vegetable Kadai or any other vegetarian and non vegetarian curries. You can replace Paneer with Ladyfingers to prepare tasty Kadai Bhindi. Any fried Vegetable balls can also be added to prepare Kadai Kofta Curry.