Falafel is a common deep fried savory item prepared throughout the Middle East. Falafel is made from soaked chickpeas and fava beans/ broad beans or a combination of the two. Soaked chickpeas are grind together with various ingredients such as coriander leaves, onions and garlic.Spices such as cumin seeds and green chillies are often added to the beans for added flavor. Falafel is commonly accompanied by Tahini or Hummus, a dip prepared with sesame seeds , olive oil and spices. The fritters are now found around the world as a replacement for meat and as a form street food. Falafel is high in protein, complex carbohydrates, and fiber. Main nutrients are calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, vitamin C, thiamine, vitamin B. Falafel is high in soluble fiber which has been shown to be effective in lowering blood cholesterol. Falafel is usually prepared ball-shaped, but is sometimes made in other shapes like oval shaped balls. Not many ingredients are required for preparing this tasty recipe. Today i am preparing falafel with only chickpeas.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Makes: 14 to 16 balls
Ingredients for Falafel:
- Chickpea/ Kabuli chana: 1 cup(washed and soaked for 3 hours)
- Onion: 1 small sized finely chopped(optional)
- Green chilli: 3 to 4 chopped (according to taste)
- Ginger: ½ inch piece finely chopped
- Coriander leaves: few leaves finely chopped
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Oil: for frying
Ingredients for Hummus:
- Sesame/ Til seeds: ½ cup(dry roasted)
- Chickpea/Kabuli chana: ½ cup( cooked soft)
- Garlic: 3 to 4 cloves
- Salt: 1 teaspoon(according to taste)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Red chilli powder: 1 teaspoon
- Roasted cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil: 3 to 4 tablespoon
Procedure for preparing falafel:
- Wash and soak chickpeas in water for 3 to 4 hours. Drain chickpeas and keep ready.
- Prepare green chilli and ginger paste and keep ready.
- Grind chickpeas coarsely. No need to add water. Transfer the coarsely ground paste into a bowl.
- Add salt, green chilli and ginger paste,finely chopped onion, finely chopped coriander leaves and cumin seeds and mix well.
- Prepare 14 to 16 lemon sized balls with the mixture and keep ready.
- Drop the 5 to 6 balls in hot oil.
- Fry the balls in medium flame to a golden brown.
- Remove the fried falafel balls into a paper napkin. Fry all the balls similarly.
Procedure for preparing hummus:
- Cook chickpeas in a cooker till soft. Allow to cool.Drain water and keep ready.
- Dry roast sesame seeds to a golden brown. Switch off the flame and allow to cool.
- Grind sesame seed to a fine paste.
- You can add a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoon of olive oil and serve as a Tahini. This can be stored in a jar and stored in the refrigerator up to 6 months.
- Grind cooked chickpeas and garlic. Grind to a very fine paste.
- Add sesame paste and 2 to 3 tablespoons of water according to the desired consistency.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and juice of one lemon and mix once. Adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Pour 1 tablespoon of oil on top of hummus. Sprinkle a pinch of red chilli powder and a pinch of roasted cumin powder on top and serve.
- Serve hummus along with falafel.
- You can also add very finely chopped olives in the hummus for additional taste.
- You can also add finely chopped fresh coriander leaves, thyme also.