Very healthy, tasty and simple curry prepared with simple ingredients. This curry is full of vitamins and protein. You can serve this curry as a salad bowl on its own or serve along with steamed rice or roti as a side dish.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5 servings
- Chickpea: 1 Cup (soaked in water for 3 hours)
- Beetroot: 1 medium sized
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 Tablespoon
- Onion: 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Green chillies: 2 finely chopped (according to taste)
- Ginger: 1 inch cut into juliennes
- Garlic: 4 to 5 finely chopped
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- Chilli flakes: ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander leaves: few leaves finely chopped
- Coriander powder: ½ teaspoon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Wash and soak kabuli Chana for 3 hours. Cook kabuli Chana/ chickpea in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes till soft and properly cooked. Drain excess water and keep aside.
- Cook beetroot in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes. Peel and cut Beetroot into small pieces and keep ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Let cumin seeds to crackle.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add finely chopped onion and green chillies and fry for 4 to 5 minutes till onions are golden brown.
- Add boiled chickpea and Beetroot and saute for a minute.
- Add cumin powder,coriander powder, Coriander leaves,salt,chilli flakes, turmeric and saute for a minute. Adjust the seasoning. Switch off the flame.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve beetroot & chickpea curry along with steamed rice or any bread.
- You can also ½ cup cooked chana dal / split chickpea for this curry.
- Any other cooked lentils can also be added.