Ridge gourd and moong dal curry is a very very easy and quick curry to prepare. No need to use chilli powder, coconut, coriander powder, tomato or any rich gravy to prepare this tasty curry. This curry is for those days when we prefer to eat a light and satisfying meal. This is an ordinary looking, simple but flavorful curry prepared with very less ingredients and less oil. Along with ridge gourd, split green gram, garlic and green chillies are used to prepare this curry. Today’s curry goes very well with roti or steamed rice. Low cost, ordinary looking Ridge gourd is loaded with nutrients like dietary fiber, vitamin C, riboflavin, zinc, iron and magnesium. It is also low in fat and calories. Because of its low in saturated fat and cholesterol and high in dietary fiber, it is ideal choice for anyone who wants to lose weight quickly. It also has a very high water content, making it a very low calorie vegetable. Ridge gourd can be used to prepare chutney also. Ridge gourd chutney (Beerakaya chutney) is very famous in Andhra Pradesh and will post chutney recipe later.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 servings
- Ridge gourd: 2 medium sized(peeled and cut into small pieces)
- Moong dal/ split green gram: ½ cup
- Onion: 1 to 2 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal: 1 tablespoon (for tempering)
- Garlic: 4 to 5 cloves
- Green chilli: 3 to 4 (according to taste)
- Coriander leaves: few leaves
- Curry leaves: few leaves
- Salt: 1 teaspoon(according to taste)
- Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
- Wash, Peel and cut ridge gourd into pieces and keep ready.
- Grind green chillies,curry leave, garlic and coriander leaves to a coarse paste and keep ready. This is our main flavoring paste for this curry.
- Wash moong dal in water and keep aside.
- Heat oil is a cooker and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal. Let mustard to crackle.
- Add onions and fry for a minute. No need to brown onions.
- Add prepared green chilli and garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add ridge gourd and washed moong dal, turmeric and salt and mix.
- Saute for a minute.
- Cover the cooker with a lid and allow to cook till 1 whistle comes. No need to add any water. The water from the ridge gourd is enough to cook the moong dal nicely. Switch off the flame and wait for 5 minutes for the steam to reduce a little.
- Open the lid and mix the curry once gently and adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer the curry to a serving bowl.
- Serve ridge gourd and moong dal curry along with steamed rice or any Indian flat bread.
- Preparing this curry in a pressure cooker will ensure the flavors intact. Switch off the flame after 1 whistle.
- Do not over cook the curry.