Sambar is a very popular lentil and vegetable stew prepared all over southern states of India. Some variations may be there depending upon the place, availability of the vegetables and spices. Usually sambar may be served along with steamed rice .It can also be served along with popular south Indian snacks like Idli or Dosa.
Preparation time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 25 Minutes
Serves: 4 to 6 Servings
- Tuvar Dal (Split Red gram ): 11/2 Cup
- Drumstick: 2 Medium sized (Cut in to 2 inch pieces)
- Onions: 2 Medium sized (sliced)
- Tomatoes: 2 Medium sized (Cut into small pieces)
- Curry leaves: 8 to 10 leaves
- Tamarind: A small lemon sized ball (Soak tamarind in a bowl of water and extract pulp)
- Turmeric powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Chili powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Sambar Masala powder: ½ Tablespoon
- sugar or Jaggery: ¼ Spoon
- Fresh coriander leaves: few (finely chopped)
- Garlic: 2 to 3 Pieces
- Cumin seeds,Mustard seeds, 1 red chilli: ½ Tablespoon (For tempering)
- asafoetida: A pinch (Optional)
- Oil: 2 teaspoon (For tempering)
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (According to taste)
- Cut all the vegetables in to medium sized pieces and keep ready.
- Take Tuvar dal in a pressure cooker and wash with water. Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook dal till soft. It may take about 10 min for the dal to cook completely.
- Allow to cool a little before opening the lid. Open the lid and mash the dal using a ladle.
- Add turmeric,red chilli powder, a small piece of jaggery and mix well and keep it aside.
- Cook drumstick pieces in 1½ cup of water and salt about 5 to 7 minutes to become soft.
- Add onions,tomato pieces,tamarind water and allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes on medium flame.
- Add cooked drumstick and tomato mixture to cooked dal. Mix properly.
- Add water according to the desired consistency. Bring to a boil. Adjust the seasoning.(If required add some water).
- Add sambar powder and mix properly.
- Add finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and cook for 2 minutes on slow fire.Switch of the fire.
- Heat 2 spoons of oil in a small pan. Add Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Garlic, Asafoetida and 1 dried Red Chili in to the oil.when Mustard starts to crackle remove from the fire. Add curry leaves.
- pour tempering over Sambar.
- Transfer sambar into a serving bowl.
- Serve sambar with steamed rice or Idly ,Dosa and appalam or Papad.
Note: Sambar can be prepared using many other vegetables like Brinjal, potato,Radish, Carrot, Pumpkin,Ladyfinger etc.