Idly is a very popular breakfast in South India. It is prepared with boiled rice or idly rava and urad dal batter. Soaked rice/rava and urad dal are grind to a batter and allowed to ferment for 5 to 6 hours and batter is steamed in moulds for 10 minutes to prepare soft and tasty idly. Idly is served along with coconut chutney and sambar.
- Udad Dal: 1 Cup
- Idly Rava:21/2 Cups ( 21/2 Cups boiled rice also can be used in place of Rava)
- Fenugreek Seeds:1 teaspoon
- Salt:½ teaspoon
- Oil:½ teaspoon ( for applying on Idly plates)
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Waiting Time -6 to 8 hours
Cooking Time -10 minutes
Yields – 20 to 24 Idly
- Wash urad dal and fenugreek seeds with water 2 to 3 times. Soak in enough water for 4 Hours.
- Wash Idly rava with water 2 to 3 times. Remove excess water and keep aside.(If you are using Idly rice or boiled rice wash and soak for about 4 hours in enough water.
- After 4 hours grind urad dal adding 1 cup of water to a fine paste.
- Transfer the urad batter to a bowl or vessel.
- Grind idly rava for 1 or 2 minutes adding little water if required.(If you are using Idly rice or boiled rice grind rice adding enough water to a paste).
- Add Idly rava to urad dal batter and mix well.
- Cover the batter with lid and allow the batter to ferment for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Add salt to the batter. If required add ¼ cup of water for the required consistency.
- Grease Idly plates with some oil.
- Pour fermented idly batter into Idly plates.
- Pour 2 to 3 cups of water into the Idly steamer and boil. (I am using Electric Rice Cooker).
- Place Idly plates inside the steamer, and steam for about 10 minutes.
- Remove idly plates outside the steamer. Allow to cool for a minute.
- Using a small spoon or knife gently spoon out Idly.
- Serve Idly with Coconut Chutney, Sambar, Groundnut Powder or Groundnut Chutney.