Mint and coconut chutney is a very simple and tasty chutney, Apply this chutney on a sandwich bread for that refreshing and tangy taste. Versatile mint & coconut chutney goes well with any fried snack like dal vada, pakoda, bajji or for that kathi roll. Also serve this chutney along with Uthappam, dosa, idly, pongal, medu vada etc.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 5 to 6 servings
- Mint leaves: 1 medium sized bunch
- Coconut: ½ coconut cut into pieces
- Green chilli: 3 to 4 (according to taste)
- Onion: 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Salt: ½ teaspoon (according to taste)
- Tamarind: a small lemon sized
- Sugar or jaggery powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Curry leaves: few leaves
- Oil: 2 teaspoon
- Peel black skin and cut coconut into small pieces and keep ready(No need to peel If you want to keep black skin of coconut).
- Wash mint leaves in water 2 to 3 times and keep ready.
- Heat ½ teaspoon of oil in a pan and fry onion till a little pink. Transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
- Fry green chillies in the same pan in ¼ teaspoon of oil and keep aside.
- Now fry mint leaves for 2 to 3 minutes in the same pan adding ½ teaspoon oil.Switch off the flame and allow to cool for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Grind coconut to a paste adding ¼ cup of water.(Do not add more water as this chutney is a little thick chutney).
- Add fried green chillies, tamarind and fried mint leaves, jaggery and grind for a minute.
- Add salt and half of fried onions and mix. Adjust the seasoning. If required add very little water.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle remaining fried onions as a garnishing and serve.
- Serve mint & coconut chutney along with any south Indian breakfast snacks like dosa, idly, medu vada etc or along with steamed rice and ghee.