Mirchi bajji or Mirapakaya bajji is a Indian deep fried,crispy and spicy Green chilli Pakoda or Fritter. Large sized green chillies are used for this pakoda as they are less spicy. In South India Cumin seeds, Sesame seeds powder,chopped onions and salt are stuffed inside the chillies to further reduce the spice of green chilli. Stuffed chillies are dipped in gram flour batter and deep fried. In North India boiled and mashed potato or Paneer (Cottage cheese) is stuffed inside the green chilli to prepare pakoda.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 Servings
- Bhavnagri Green Chilli: 6 to 8
- Sesame seeds: 2 Tablespoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 Tablespoon
- Ajwain/Caraway seeds: 1 Tablespoon
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon
- Besan/Gram flour: ¾ cup
- Turmeric: a pinch (optional)
- Baking soda/Cooking soda: ¼ teaspoon
- Oil: 2 Cups: for deep frying bajji
- Onion: 2 medium sized (finely chopped.1 for stuffing and 1 for garnishing)
- Red chilli powder: ¼ teaspoon (according to taste)
- Coriander leaves: few leaves finely chopped
- Lemon juice: 1 Teaspoon
- Wash green chillies in water and make a slit and scoop out the seeds with the help of a spoon gently.
- Dry roast 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon of cumin and 1 teaspoon of ajwain till golden brown on a slow flame.
- Grind all fried seeds to a fine powder. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and mix and keep ready. Keep 1 teaspoon of this stuffing spice powder aside in a small bowl for garnishing purpose.
- Mix finely chopped onion to the remaining powder. This is our stuffing mixture.
- Stuff the mixture into green chillies with the help of a spoon and keep ready.
- Mix gram flour, ¼ teaspoon of salt, a pinch of turmeric and baking soda in a mixing bowl.Add just enough water to prepare a batter. (The batter should not be too thin or thick. It should be like a pouring consistency batter).
- Heat oil in a pan for frying bajji. (Oil should not be too hot).
- Dip stuffed green chilli in the prepared batter and put in hot oil gently for frying.
- Reduce the heat and fry Mirchi bajji on medium heat till golden brown.
- Transfer bajji to a paper napkin to remove excess oil.
- Mix finely chopped onion, finely chopped coriander leaves,prepared 1 spoon of stuffing spice powder, ¼ teaspoon of red chilli powder and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Serve Mirchi Bajji along with onion spice mixture. You can also serve Mirchi Bajji along with Puffed rice Upma, Mango rice or Poha Upma.
- You can sprinkle this onion spice mixture on top of Mirchi bajji just before serving.
- You can also cut bajji into 1 inch pieces and sprinkle onion mixture and serve.
- You can also prepare a minced meat/ Chicken Keema mixture by frying keema in oil and mixing with spices to stuff inside chillies.
- If you want spicy mirchi bajji you can prepare without scooping the seeds from green chillies. Just make a cut and stuff the prepared mixture.