Puffed Rice Upma is a traditional breakfast item prepared in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. It is called Borugula Upma in Andhra Pradesh and Uggani in Karnataka. It is generally served along with Masala Dal Vada or Mirchi Bajji. The preparation of this Upma is very much similar to Poha Upma. There are 2 types of Puffed Rice available in the market. One variety is a little light,soft and less salty while the other variety is a little thick,firm and more salty. Always try to use the firm and salty Puffed Rice to prepare this Upma other wise your Upma will become soggy and sticky.The less salty variety can be used for preparing Bhel or Chat.You can prepare this snack item for kitty Parties or for giving as a lunch box for kids.For making it more healthy you can add any sprouts and grated Carrot along with sliced onions while frying.Cashew nuts or any other nuts can also be added along with Ground nuts.
Preparation time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 15 Minutes
Serves: 2 Servings
- Puffed Rice: 100 gms (4 cups)
- Onion: 2 Medium sized (sliced)
- Green Chilli: 4 to 5 (slit)
- Tomato: 1 Medium sized (finely chopped)
- Lemon: ½ Medium sized
- Groundnuts: 2 Tablespoons
- Turmeric powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Curry leaves: 8 to 10 leaves
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon (according to taste)
- Mustard seeds,Urad dal,Chana dal,Cumin seeds: 2 Teaspoons
- Red chilli: 1 (broken)
- Fresh coriander leaves: Few for garnishing
- Roasted chana(Chutney dal): 4 Tablespoons
- Dry coconut: A small piece
- Oil: 2 Tablespoons
- Soak puffed rice in 10 cups of water.
- Leave puffed rice in water for 5 minutes. Squeeze puffed rice gently with your palm to remove excess water and keep aside.
- Grind chutney dal and dry coconut into a fine powder and keep aside.
- Slice onions.Finely chop tomato.
- Take a pan and heat 2 tablespoons of oil in it.
- Add groundnuts,mustard seeds,chana dal,urad dal,cumin seeds, When mustard seeds starts crackling and groundnuts become golden brown add onions,green chilli and curry leaves.
- Fry onions to golden brown.Add finely chopped tomato and salt.
- Fry tomato for 2 to 3 minutes to become a little soft.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Add soaked and squeezed murmure and mix well.
- Sprinkle chutney dal and dry coconut powder, juice of ½ Lemon over the Murmure mix and mix everything gently. Adjust the seasoning. Allow to cook on slow flame for 2 minutes.
- Add finely chopped fresh Coriander leaves and remove from the fire.
- Transfer puffed rice upma to a serving bowl and serve.
- Serve Murmure Upma along with Dal Vada or Mirchi Bajji.
If you have Ground nut Podi available in your house you can also use it to sprinkle over the Upma in place of Chutney dal and Dry coconut powder. Depending on the variety of Puffed Rice soaking time and the amount of Salt has to be adjusted.