Spongy Egg Curry is a easy, tasty and a little fancy looking curry. For all those who love eating eggs daily here is the recipe. Once you prepare spongy egg cubes you can use them to prepare both dry and gravy curry.They look like Paneer cubes and the options of using those cubes are unlimited. Just replace Paneer pieces with spongy egg pieces to prepare all the paneer recipes.You can also prepare egg fried rice using spongy egg pieces. Today i am preparing spongy egg curry(dry). This curry can go well with Steamed rice,Roti or Poori. This curry is ideal both for preparing regularly or for serving in parties and special occasions.
Preparation time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 15 Minutes
Serves: 4 Servings
- Eggs: 6
- Onions: 3 Medium sized(s)
- Green Chilli: 4 to 5 (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves: 6 to 8
- Dried Mint: 1 Tablespoon (crushed)
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon (according to taste)
- Turmeric: ½ Teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Cumin powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Coriander powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Pepper powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: A pinch
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander leaves: Few for garnishing
- Mustard seeds,Cumin seeds,Chana dal: 1 Teaspoon
- Dry red chilli: 1(broken)
- Take a bowl.Break 6 eggs and add ½ teaspoon of salt and some pepper powder.
- Beat eggs for 2 to 3 minutes to become a little fluffy.
- Pour eggs mixture into a greased dish.
- Put the greased dish in the steamer. Cover the lid.
- Steam eggs mixture in a steamer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the steamed egg mixture bowl from the steamer and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
- Run the knife through the sides of the dish. Flip the egg mixture upside down and tap the dish to remove the steamed egg mixture.
- Cut the steamed egg mixture into cubes. Keep aside.
- Take a pan and pour 1 Tablespoon of Oil and add Mustard seeds,Chana dal,Cumin seeds,1 dry Red chilli.
- When Mustard seeds starts crackle add Curry leaves,sliced onions and chopped green chilli.
- Fry onions till they become soft and pink.
- Add steamed Egg cubes and toss to mix.
- Add Red chilli powder,Turmeric, Cumin powder,Garam masala powder,Coriander powder and mix everything gently.
- Adjust the seasoning. Add crushed dried mint and fresh coriander leaves and toss a little.Allow to cook for 2 minutes on slow fire. Remove from the fire.
- Transfer the Egg Curry to a serving bowl.
- Serve Spongy Egg Curry along with Steamed Rice, Roti or Poori.
If you want this curry to be spicy you can increase the amount of green chillies and red chilli powder. If you want 2 inch thickness of the Egg cubes use medium sized greased dish. If the diameter of the dish is more you will get very thin pieces.If you steam the egg mixture for longer time the egg mixture will become hard, so ensure that your cooking time is about 8 to 10 minutes. Ideal time to steam the mixture is for 6 to 8 minutes depending on the thickness of the egg mixture.