Tasty Chikki is prepared by mixing various types of nuts and other ingredients either with jaggery or sugar.Thick syrup made of jaggery or sugar is prepared and nuts are rolled into it and mixture is poured on a greased surface to prepare chikki. Groundnut chikki is very popular in India.It is normally prepared more in winter season. It is like a Energy Bar for growing children as both protein and iron are found in this chikki. Peanut chikki or peanut brittle is a delicious homemade candy. This recipe is super simple and tasty.Only 3 ingredients are used to prepare Chikki.By following this recipe you can prepare Sesame Seeds Chikki, Cashew nut Chikki or any Mixed nuts Chikki.You can also prepare groundnut Balls with this mixture. .
- Peanuts: 1 Cup
- Jaggery: ¾ Cup
- Ghee/ Clarified Butter: 1 Tablespoon
Preparation time: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 10 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8 Servings
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and dry roast Groundnuts to golden brown on a medium fire.
- Transfer the fried Groundnuts to a plate and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Rub groundnuts a little with palm and remove the outer skin.
- Transfer the nuts to a ziplock cover and crush them a little with the help of a Rolling pin. Keep aside. If you want to prepare round balls of Groundnut there is no need to crush them.(If you want to roll the chikki mixture in to a very thin sheet you need to crush the nuts otherwise you can leave them as it is).
- Crush jaggery with rolling pin a little bit to prepare small pieces and keep aside.
- Apply some Ghee to the Rolling pin and keep it ready.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon of Ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add Jaggery powder or pieces and heat for 2 minutes on a medium fire stirring continuously. Jaggery will melt and will become a thick syrup.
- Continue to cook the syrup till the you get a nice dark honey color.
- Keep a small bowl or plate filled with some water ready to check the consistency of the syrup.To check whether the syrup reached the right consistency or not pour a drop of hot syrup in to the water.Flatten the syrup by pressing a little.Hold it and try to break it with your fingers. If it is crispy and you get the crackling sound while breaking the mixture it is ready.If it is not ready cook the syrup for 1 more minute stirring continuously on a slow fire.
- Add crushed Groundnuts to the syrup and mix.
- Remove from the fire and pour the mixture to a greased surface.
- Roll the mixture into a thin sheet with the help of a rolling pin.Cut the sheet into desired shape or just break the sheet to get random shape Chikki.
- Serve Ground nut Chikki as a evening snack or serve along with Tea/ Coffe. Store the Groundnut Brittle in a airtight container for 15 days or more.
If you want to prepare perfect squares of Chikki you can pour the hot mixture into a greased tray and cut it with a sharp knife when it is still hot. If you want to make ladoos allow the mixture to cool for a minute. apply a little Ghee to your palms and take a small amount of mixture and prepare Lemon sized Balls when the mixture is still warm.Once the mixture becomes cold you can not give it any shape.For additional flavor and better digestion some people add a teaspoon of Ginger juice while syrup is cooking.(Dry ginger powder can also be added).If you do not get jaggery you can use Brown Sugar to prepare chikki. Ghee/Clarified Butter adds a little glaze and aroma to this Chikki. If you do not want to use Ghee,you can add 1 Teaspoon of refined oil also