Chikki is prepared by mixing various types of nuts and other ingredients either with jaggery or sugar.Thick syrup made of jaggery or sugar is prepared and nuts are rolled into it and poured on a greased surface to prepare chikki. It is normally prepared more in winter season. It is like a Energy Bar for growing children because it has got a good protein and iron source. It is a perfect snack for adults also after workout. This recipe is super simple and tasty.Only 3 ingredients are used to prepare Chikki. By following this recipe you can prepare Roasted Chana Chikki, Cashew nut Chikki, Groundnut Chikki, or any Mixed nuts Chikki. You can also prepare Sesame laddos with this mixture.
Preparation time: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 10 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8 Servings
- Sesame Seeds: 1 Cup
- Jaggery: ¾ Cup
- Ghee/ Clarified Butter: 1 Tablespoon
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and dry roast Sesame seeds to golden brown on a medium fire.
- Transfer the fried Sesame seeds to a plate and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Crush jaggery with rolling pin a little bit to prepare small pieces and keep aside.
- Apply some Ghee to the Rolling pin and keep it ready.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon of Ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add Jaggery powder or pieces and heat for 2 minutes on a medium fire stirring continuously.
- Jaggery will melt and will become a thick syrup. (No need to add water).
- Continue to cook the syrup till the you get a nice dark honey color.
- Keep a small bowl with some water ready to check the consistency of the syrup.To check whether the syrup reached the right consistency or not pour a drop of hot syrup in to the water.Flatten the syrup by pressing a little.try to break it with your fingers. If you hear the crackling sound while breaking the mixture it is ready.If it is not ready cook the syrup for 1 more minute stirring continuously on a slow fire.
- Add Sesame seeds to the syrup and mix.
- Remove from the fire and pour the mixture to a greased surface.
- Roll into a thin sheet with the help of a rolling pin.
- Cut the sheet into desired shape or just break the sheet to get random shape Chikki and serve Sesame Chikki as a evening snack along with Tea/Coffee.
- Store the Sesame Brittle in a airtight container for 15 days or more.
If you want to prepare perfect squares of Chikki you can pour the hot mixture into a greased tray and cut it with a sharp knife when it is still hot. If you prefer to do round ladoos or Balls allow the mixture to cool for a minute. apply a little Ghee on your palms and take a small amount of mixture and roll them to make round balls when the mixture is still warm.Once the mixture becomes cold you can not give desired shape. If you do not get jaggery you can use Brown Sugar to prepare chikki. Ghee/Clarified Butter adds a little glaze and aroma to this Chikki. If you do not want to use Ghee, you can add 1 Teaspoon of refined oil also. For additional flavor and better digestion some people add a teaspoon of Ginger juice while syrup is cooking.(Dry ginger powder can also be added).