Carrot cake is prepared using grated carrots and whole wheat flour.This tasty,healthy and easy carrot cake needs no occasion to prepare. Cream Cheese frosting make it irresistible. I saw so many varieties of plain Cream cheese in United States. As plain cream cheese is not freely available in India i have used freshly home made Paneer to prepare cheese icing. It tastes great. Carrot cake is healthy as i have added 3/4 cup wheat flour to 3/4 cup all purpose flour.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: 8 to 10 Servings
Ingredients for cake:
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- A pinch of Salt
- 1/4 cup Butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup grated carrot (one big carrot)
- ½ cup Yogurt
- ¼ cup milk / water
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (Cashew nut,Walnut,Almond)
Ingredients for Cream cheese frosting:
- 100 gms home made fresh Paneer (I am using paneer made from 1 liter for this cake)
- 1 cup powdered sugar/ Icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of milk (As required to make smooth spread)
- Grease an 8-inch round or square baking pan. Dust some dry flour and keep aside.
- Sift dry ingredients (wheat flour,all purpose flour,cinnamon powder,baking powder,baking soda) into a bowl 2 to 3 times to mix and incorporate air. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar to creamy soft.
- Add eggs and vanilla essence and mix gently for a minute.
- Add yogurt and grated carrot.
- Mix everything gently.
- Gradually add flour mixture. Fold in chopped nuts.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- If required add some milk slowly 1 tablespoon at a time for a pouring consistency.
- Pour the mixture in to the dish.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let it cool completely on a wire rack.
Cream Cheese frosting:
- Grind castor sugar in to a very fine powder.
- Add home made paneer and blend to a smooth paste.
- Add vanilla essence and milk a little bit at a time to get a desired spreading consistency.
- Pour over the cake and spread evenly. Allow to set for 10 minutes before serving.
You can use candied pineapple pieces.You can also prepare in the house by soaking pineapple pieces in hot sugar syrup for 10 minutes and squeeze them to remove excess liquid and mix it along grated carrot. If you want to add pineapple pieces, increase the baking time for about 5 to 8 minutes. I have used caster sugar for cream frosting in this recipe. If you want whiter cream frosting you can use icing sugar and a few drops of lemon juice. For additional flavor and color chocolate chips can also be added along with chopped nuts.