Chana dal Vada is a crispy snack prepared with soaked and coarsely grind chickpeas. Onion,ginger and green chillies and salt are added to the grind chana dal and fried in hot oil. Dal Vada is usually served along with chutney.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 30 to 32 pieces
- Chana dal/ Split chickpeas: 1 cup (soak dal in 3 cups of water for 2 hours)
- Green chilli: 4 to 5 (according to taste)
- Ginger: 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves: 8 to 10 leaves
- Coriander leaves: few leaves (finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Onion: 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Garam masala powder: ¼ teaspoon (optional)
- Wash chana dal in water for 2 times.Soak 1 cup of chana dal in 3 to 4 cups of water for 2 to 3 hours.Drain excess water of dal.
- Keep ¼ cup of soaked chana dal aside.(We will mix these dal to coarsely grind dal).
- Grind remaining chana dal coarsely.(No need to add water).
- Grind green chilli,curry leaves and ginger coarsely.
- Take a bowl. Add grind chana dal,grind green chilli paste and ¼ cup chana dal,cumin seeds,salt,garam masala,finely chopped coriander leaves and mix everything.
- Add finely chopped onion and mix.
- Heat oil in a pan for vadas to fry.
- Prepare small vadas.
- Drop 3 to 4 vadas in hot oil. Reduce flame.Fry vadas in medium flame till crispy.
- Remove golden brown vada from oil and transfer to a paper napkin to drain excess oil.
- Serve Chana Dal Vada along with some chutney.
- Do not grind chana dal to a very fine paste.
- Drain dal to remove exess water and grind coarsely.
- Fry on a slow or medium flame for a crispy cutlets.