Sweet & sour mango chutney is prepared with slightly ripen raw mango.There is no need to add any sweetener like jaggery or sugar. Slightly ripe mango’s sweetness gives this chutney a different taste. Mango pieces are cooked in little oil to soften a little. Spices are added to balance the sweet and sour taste. This chutney goes well with steamed Rice,Dosa, Idly,Vada or any Indian bread. Raw mango can be wrapped in a paper napkin for 2 to 3 days to get perfectly suitable mango for this chutney.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 10 to 12 servings
- Raw mango(slightly ripen): 1 Medium sized (Cut into pieces)
- Oil: 2 Tablespoon
- Mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds: 1 Tablespoon (for tempering)
- Curry leaves: 6 to 8
- Garlic: 5 to 6 Cloves
- Dried red chilli: 1 (broken)
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon (according to taste)
- Red chilli powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric: ¼ Teaspoon
- Asafoetida: A pinch
- Mustard seeds powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds powder/Methi powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Peel raw mango and cut into pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,cumin seeds, urad dal,finely chopped garlic ,dry red chilli and curry leaves.
- When mustard starts crackling add asafoetida and mango pieces.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook for 5 to 7 minutes on slow flame for mango pieces to become little soft. Switch off the flame.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric, mustard seed powder and fenugreek powder.
- Mix well. Adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer chutney to serving bowl or a glass jar.
- Serve Sweet & Sour Mango Chutney along with steamed rice and Papad.
- Chutney can be stored in refrigerator for 15 days.
- This chutney can also be prepared with raw mango. Just add 1/2 spoon of jaggery or sugar to balance sourness of raw mango.