Masala dosa is a very popular south Indian breakfast. Crispy pan cakes are prepared with fermented rice and black gram batter and stuffed with potato curry. It is usually served with coconut chutney or ground nut chutney and sambar. Once the batter is prepared we can prepare dosa, uthappam and ponganalu. Deep fried dumplings called Punugulu can also be prepared with the batter.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Marination Time: 6 To 8 hours
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8 To 10 servings (yields 20 To 25 Dosa)
Ingredients For Dosa batter:
- Rice: 3 cups (soak in water for 4 hours)
- Urad dal (split black gram): 1 cup (soak in water for 4 hours)
- Fenugreek seeds: 2 teaspoons ( soak in water for 4 hours)
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Oil: for frying dosas
Ingredients for Masala:
- Potato: 500 gms
- Green Peas: ½ cup (boiled or steamed)
- Onion: 2 medium sized (sliced)
- Green Chilies: 4 To 6
- Tomato: 1 Medium Sized (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves: 8 to 10
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: ½ Cup (finely chopped)
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
- Mustard seeds,cumin Seeds, urad dal: 1 teaspoon
Procedure for masala filling:
- Wash potatoes with water and boil for 10 to 15 Minutes till soft.( If you are using Pressure Cooker add 2 cups of water to potatoes and pressure cook for 2 whistles to come. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before opening the lid ). Peel potatoes and cut into small pieces.Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal . When mustard seeds starts spluttering add sliced onions, curry leaves and fry till onions become a little golden.
- Add tomato, steamed green peas and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes,turmeric, salt, coriander powder and mix well.
- Add finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add ½ Cup of water and allow to cook on slow fire for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the potato curry to a bowl and keep aside.
Procedure for Masala Dosa:
- Take a vessel. Mix rice, urad dal, fenugreek seeds and wash with water 2 to 3 times.
- Add enough water and soak rice and dal for about 4 hours.
- Grind to a fine paste.
- Transfer the batter to a vessel and cover the vessel with a lid and allow to rise the batter for about 6 to 8 hours. (Keep in a warm place for fermentation).
- Add salt to the batter. If required add little water for the desired consistency to prepare Dosa.
- Heat a flat non stick Tava. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon oil and spread evenly.Wipe extra oil with a paper napkin. (If you put more oil on the pan it will be difficult to spread the batter).
- Pour 1 ladle batter on the Tava and spread the batter evenly in circular motion to prepare Dosa. Sprinkle a little oil. Fry Dosa to golden brown and flip Dosa and fry other side also.(Keep medium flame for better results).
- Again flip Dosa and put 2 Spoons of potato curry on center of the Dosa and spread the curry a little and fold Dosa.
- Serve Dosa along with Coconut Chutney or Groundnut Chutney or Sambar, Groundnut Powder.
- Soaking 3 teaspoons of sabudana (tapioca sago) along with rice gives nice golden brown color and taste to dosa.
- Some people add Poha (flattened rice flakes) also when grinding the batter.