Onion Uthappam or onion oothappam is a popular breakfast dish of south India. It is a pancake prepared with Dosa batter and topped with vegetables like onion, green chillies and tomato. Traditionally Uthappam is served along with coconut chutney (or any chutney) and sambar. As we have added green chillies and chopped vegetables, uthappam can be served with out any chutney also. I have explained preparation of Dosa batter in my masala Dosa recipe. (Quick recap: Wash and soak 11/2 cup rice and ½ cup of Split black gram/urad dal in enough water for 3 hours. Drain water. Grind to a fine paste adding little water. Transfer to a bowl. Cover with a lid and keep in a warm place for 6 hours to ferment and rise. Add ½ teaspoon salt and use the batter to prepare Dosa or Uthappam. This batter will be enough for making 12 to 15 Uthappam. You can store the batter up to a week in refrigerator).
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 5 to 6 Uthappams
- Dosa batter: 2 cups
- Onion: 2 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Tomato: 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Green chilli: 2 to 3 finely chopped (according to taste)
- Carrot: 1 medium(grated)
- Curry leaves: few leaves (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves: ½ small bunch (finely chopped)
- Finely chop onion,tomato and green chillies. Grate carrot and keep ready.
- Mix finely chopped onion,tomato,green chilli,grated carrot,curry leaves and coriander leaves in a bowl.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt and mix and keep ready.
- Heat a nonstick flat pan. Pour ½ teaspoon oil and spread evenly.
- Pour 1 ladle dosa batter.
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of mixed vegetables on dosa batter and spread a little. (No need to spread like a thin dosa. Keep Utthappam like a thick pan cake).
- Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of oil over the utthappam and fry on a slow flame for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Flip utthappam and fry on the other side also on a slow flame for 2 or 3 minutes till golden brown. (You can lift little on a corner to check if it is golden brown).
- Transfer utthappam to a serving plate.
- Serve utthappam along with coconut chutney and sambar.
- Add ½ cup of oats and little water to the prepared batter to make it healthy.
- Soak mixed lentils along with brown rice to prepare batter for for a different taste and as a healthy option.
- Finely chopped spinach or any other vegetables of your choice can be used.