Instant uthappam is for all those who want to prepare uthappam, but do not have time to prepare dosa batter. Onion Uthappam is a popular breakfast dish of South India. It is like a pancake prepared with Dosa batter and vegetables like onion, green chillies and tomato. Utthappam is served along with coconut chutney and sambar. Preparing dosa batter needs some preparation like soaking rice and lentils, grinding them to prepare batter and allowing batter to ferment for 5 to 6 hours. Instant dosa batter is prepared in 10 minutes and choice of vegetables can be topped to prepare instant uthappam. You can add choice of flours along with rice flour and curd to make instant Dosa or uthappam batter.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 5 to 6 Uthappams
Ingredients for instant dosa batter:
- Rice flour: 1/2 cup
- Whole wheat flour: 1/2 cup
- Besan/ Chick pea flour: 1/2 cup
- Semolina/ suji rava: 1/4 cup
- Yogurt/ dahi: 1 cup
- Baking soda: A pinch
- Salt: 1/4 teaspoon
Ingredients for topping:
- Onion: 2 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Tomato: 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Green chilli: 2 to 3 finely chopped (according to taste)
- Carrot: 1 medium(grated)
- Curry leaves: few leaves (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves: ½ small bunch (finely chopped)
- Mix rice flour,whole wheat flour, besan, suji, salt, curd and baking soda.
- Add little water at a time to prepare a pouring consistency batter(batter should be like a cake batter consistency(If batter is too watery then add 2 to 3 tablespoons of rice flour or whole wheat flour to adjust the consistency). This is our instant dosa batter. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- In the mean time finely chop onion,tomato and green chillies. Grate carrot and keep ready.
- Mix finely chopped onion,tomato,green chilli,grated carrot,curry leaves and coriander leaves in a bowl. Add ½ teaspoon salt and mix and keep ready.
- Heat a nonstick flat pan. Pour ½ teaspoon oil and spread evenly.
- Pour 1 ladle instant dosa batter.
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of mixed vegetables on dosa batter and press a little. (No need to spread like a thin dosa. Keep Utthappam like a thick pan cake).
- Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of oil over the utthappam and fry on a slow flame for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Flip utthappam and fry on the other side also on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes till golden brown.
- Transfer utthappam to a serving plate.
- Serve utthappam along with tomato chutney /coconut chutney and sambar.
- Add ½ cup of oats and little water to the prepared batter to make it healthy.
- Finely chopped spinach or any other vegetables of your choice can be used.
- You can add 1/4 cup Ragi flour, 1/4 cup Bajra flour, 1/4 cup wheat flour, 1/2 cup rice flour, 1 cup curd to prepare tasty instant uthappam or instant dosa.