Instant oats idly is prepared with oats, semolina / suji and yogurt. To make it healthy grated carrot, green peas, grated cabbage,french beans and finely chopped coriander are added. Any other choice of vegetables like grated pumpkin can also be added. You can also make vegetable dosa with this batter. You can try my instant uthappam also.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 12 to 14 idly
- Oats: 1 cup
- Sooji / semolina: 1/2 cup
- Yogurt: 1 cup
- Carrot: 1 medium sized grated
- Cabbage: 1/4 cup grated
- sweet corn or green peas: ¼ cup
- French beans: 6 to 8 finely chopped
- Coriander leaves: few leaves finely chopped
- Salt:½ teaspoon (according to taste)
- Baking soda: ½ teaspoon
- Dry roast oats for 5 to 6 minutes. Switch off the flame and allow to cool for a minute.
- Grind for a minute to a coarse powder and keep ready(no need to grind to a very fine powder).
- Add oats powder,Sooji , baking soda and yogurt and mix well.
- Add all the vegetables, 1/2 cup water and mix properly.
- If needed add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water to the batter. Batter should be like a thick pouring consistency. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Grease idly plates lightly with oil.
- Boil some water in a steamer ready for keeping idly plates.
- Pour idly batter in idly plates. Pour batter in the idly plates.
- Place the plates in the steamer and allow to cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and wait for 5 minutes.
- With the help of a small spoon remove idlis from the plates and serve tasty and healthy oats idly along with chutney or sambar.
- For preparing dosa pour 1 ladle of the prepared batter on a flat greased non stick pan and spread like a thick pan cake.Fry for a minute to golden brown.
- Flip dosa and fry another side also sprinkling some oil till golden.
- Serve dosa along with any chutney or sambar.
- If you have added more water and batter is watery, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of semolina to adjust the consistency of the batter.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spinach, grated pumpkin and chopped nuts can also be added to make idly tasty and healthy.