Paratha is an Indian breakfast preparation. Paratha dough is prepared with whole wheat flour and choice of vegetables and rolled into a flat bread. It is then fried on a pan with some butter or oil. Stuffed paratha is also prepared with stuffing made with choice of vegetables. Preparing tasty and healthy oats & carrot paratha is very easy. Colorful and Ideal for packing for children lunch box. Packed with perfect balance of fiber, carbohydrates and antioxidants. Carrot & oats paratha can be served along with yogurt,curry or simply with any pickle or dip. You can also try my mixed vegetable stuffed paratha , Mooli paratha and Methi paratha.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Makes: 10 to 12 paratha
- Carrot: 2 to 3 medium sized (peeled and grated)
- Oats: 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour: 1 cup
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: ½ teaspoon (according to taste)
- Chilli flakes: ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
- Onion: 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Green chilli: 2 to 3 finely chopped
- Coriander leaves: 1/2 small bunch finely chopped
- Peel and grate carrot and keep ready.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a deep pan. Add cumin seeds, sesame seeds, turmeric and salt.
- Add grated carrot and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes(no need to over cook).Switch off the flame.
- Add oats and mix in hot carrot mix and mix properly.Keep aside for 5 to 7 minutes for oats to absorb hot water.
- Add whole wheat flour, finely chopped onion, finely chopped coriander leaves and green chillies. Prepare soft dough. No need to add any water(If required add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water).
- Prepare lemon sized 10 to 12 balls.
- Dust a little dry flour and roll into about 5 to 6 inch diameter disk/ paratha.
- Fry paratha on a pan sprinkling 1 teaspoon oil or butter till golden brown.
- Flip paratha and fry on other side also with some butter or oil.
- Serve healthy carrot & oats paratha with any curry or with chutney / pickle.
- Dough can be prepared and stored in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days in a air tight container. Takeout required amount of dough 5 minutes before preparing paratha.
- Similarly you can also add grated beetroot or pumpkin.
- Finely chopped ginger and garlic can also be added for additional flavor and taste.