Coriander chicken is a prepared with coriander leaves and green chilli paste. It is a healthy, easy and tasty chicken recipe. No need to use any coconut, curd, cashew nuts, cream or lot of spices to prepare this dish. Preparing this curry is even faster if green chutney is readily available. Coriander chicken goes well with any Indian bread,steamed rice, jeera rice or any flavored rice.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 5 to 6 servings
- Chicken: 1 kg
- Coriander leaves: a small bunch (roughly chopped)
- Green chillies: 5 to 6 (according to taste)
- Mint leaves: few leaves
- Oil: 1 to 2 teaspoon
- Onion: 2 medium sized (sliced)
- Curry leaves: 6 to 8 leaves
- Ginger garlic paste: 2 teaspoon
- Tomato: 2 to 3 medium sized (pureed)
- Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric: 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Roasted cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: ½ teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Kasoori methi/ dried fenugreek leaves: few leaves crushed
- Clean chicken and cut into medium sized pieces.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and add cleaned chicken, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of turmeric. Allow to cook on high flame for all the water evaporates and to remove raw smell from chicken. It may take 5 to 7 minutes. Keep aside.
- Grind coriander leaves, few mint leaves and 4 to 5 green chillies to a fine paste and keep ready. This is our coriander paste.
- Prepare tomato puree and keep ready.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan. Add sliced onion and curry leaves.
- Fry till onions are little brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and coriander paste and fry till oil separates.
- Add tomato puree and allow to cook till oil separates.
- Add turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes till oil separates.
- Add chicken, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 cup of water and mix. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and allow to cook for 10 minutes on slow flame.
- Add crushed dried fenugreek leaves and lemon juice and mix. Adjust the seasoning.Switch off the flame.
- Transfer the curry to a serving bowl.
- Serve coriander chicken along with steamed rice or any Indian bread lemon and salad.
- If you have green chutney readily available you can use 4 to 5 tablespoon of it.
- You can use black pepper powder for additional spice.