Jeera rice is a very easy and mild flavored rice prepared with Basmati rice, cumin seeds and ghee. It goes well with almost all Indian vegetarian and non vegetarian curries.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5 servings
- Basmati rice: 1 cup
- Ghee/oil: 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Whole spices: 1/2 inch cinnamon,2 cloves, 1 cardamom, 5 black pepper,1 bay leaf
- Shah jeera/ black cumin: 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion: 1 medium (sliced)
- Green chilli: 2 medium sized (slit)
- Curry leaves: 4 to 5
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Wash rice and soak in 2 cups of water and keep ready.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds,whole spices and shah jeera. Allow cumin to crackle.
- Add sliced onion,green chilli,curry leaves and fry for a minute till onion are little brown.
- Add soaked rice along with water and add salt.
- Bring to a boil and allow to cook on high flame for 5 minutes stirring in between gently.
- Cover the pan and allow to cook on slow flame for about 10 to 12 minutes till rice is cooked.
- Switch off the flame wait for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve jeera rice along with any curry.
If you want you can also add some cashew nuts and ½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste.