- Rice – 2 Cups
- Green Gram Split (Moong Dal)-1 Cup
- Onion -1 (Cut into 4 pieces)
- Cardamon (Elaichi) -3 To 4
- Clove – 2
- Cinnamon – 2 Sticks
- Turmeric – A pinch
- Cumin Seeds – 1 Teaspoon
- Salt -1 Teaspoon
- Oil – 1 Teaspoon (For tempering)
- Curry Leaves -8 to 10
- Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Urad Dal -1 Tb Spoon (For tempering)
Preparation Time – 10 Minutes Cooking Time – 15 Minutes Serves – 4 To 5 Persons
- Take a pan and add Moong Dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add Rice to the fried Moong Dal and wash with water 2 to 3 times.
- Transfer the Rice & Dal to Rice cooker and add 6 Cups of water and 1 Teaspoon of Salt.
- Take a pan and pour 1 Teaspoon of oil and heat oil. Add whole spices( Cardamom, Cloves, Cinnamon and Cumin Seeds. Fry for 1 Minute. Add Sliced Onions, Green Chilies, Curry leaves ,Turmeric and fry for 1 Minute.
- Add to the Rice & Dal and mix properly. Cook Pongal till done.(I am using Automatic Electric Rice Cooker. I just have to switch on the Cooker. It will automatically switch off when the Rice or Pongal is cooked.). Alternately it can be prepared in a Deep Pan.Just add all the ingredients and cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook on a slow flame for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer Pongal to a serving bowl.
- Serve Pongal along with Groundnut Chutney.