When raw mangoes are in season many different pickles and Chutneys re prepared with these mangoes. My grandmother used to prepare tasty raw mango and black sesame seeds chutney. white Sesame seeds also can be used to prepare chutney. Though both chutneys looks different in color they are amazingly tasty. Black sesame seeds adds a little bit of bitter taste and white sesame seeds adds mild sweetness to the chutney. This chutney is prepared white sesame seeds.
- Raw Mango: 1 medium sized(Peel and cut into pieces)
- Sesame Seeds: ½ Cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Red chili powder: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric: ½ teaspoon
- Garlic: 6 to 8 cloves
- Oil: 1 tablespoon(for tempering)
- Mustard Seeds,Urad Dal,Chana Dal,Fenugreek Seeds: 1 tablespoon (for tempering)
- Red Chilli: 1 broken(for tempering)
- Asefeoitida / Hing: 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves: 6 to 8 leaves (for tempering)
Preparation time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 10 Minutes
Serves: 10 to 12
- Wash raw mango and peel the outer skin. Cut into small pieces and keep aside.
- Dry roast sesame seeds in a pan till golden brown on a slow flame. Switch off the flame and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Grind sesame seeds to a powder.
- Add mango pieces,salt,red chilli powder,turmeric and some garlic and grind to a coarse paste. No need to grind to a fine paste.
- Adjust the seasoning. Transfer the chutney to a serving bowl.
- Take a small pan and heat 1 tablespoon of oil for tempering.
- Add Mustard seeds,urad dal,chana dal,curry leaves and 1 dry red chili.When mustard seeds starts crackling remove from the fire and add asefeoitida. pour over the Chutney and serve.
- Serve Mango chutney along with Steamed Rice and Ghee.Note: You can also use dried red chilies instead of chilli powder. Just dry roast 4 to 5 red chilies for 3 to 4 minutes on slow flame till nice aroma comes and grind them along with sesame seeds.