Poha upma is a popular south Indian breakfast dish prepared with flattened rice flakes, onion, green chillies and lemon juice. Preparation is very similar to Murmure upma.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time -15 minutes
Serves – 4 Servings
- Poha: 3 cups
- Potato: 1 (finely chopped)
- Onion: 2 medium sized (finely chopped)
- tomato: 1 small (finely chopped)
- Green chili: 3 to 4 finely chopped (according to taste)
- Curry leaves: 10 to 12 leaves
- Ground nuts: 3 tablespoons
- Fresh coriander leaves: few stems (finely chopped)
- Salt: ½ teaspoon (according to taste)
- Lemon juice: 2 tablespoons
- mustard Seeds, Jeera, Chana Dal: 2 teaspoons
- Red chili:1 broken
- Turmeric powder:¼ teaspoon
- Oil: 2 Tablespoons
- Take a kadai and heat oil. Add mustard, jeera, chana dal, red chili. When mustard seeds starts crackling add groundnuts. Fry groundnuts to golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and potato pieces and fry till golden brown.
- Add onions,finely chopped green chili and fry for 1 or 2 minute.
- Add tomato pieces and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Take 3 glasses of water in a bowl. Soak Poha into water and immediately squeeze gently and put into kadai.
- Add salt and lemon juice. Mix everything properly. If you feel Poha is little dry you can sprinkle some water and mix properly.
- Cover the kadai with a lid and allow to cook Poha on a slow heat for 5 minutes. Switch of the fire and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Transfer Poha into serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves and serve.