Kakarakaya Vepudu or Bitter Gourd fry prepared in traditional Andhra Pradesh style is a very tasty dry curry. Many people do not like bitter gourd because of it bitter taste. To balance its bitter taste, tamarind, jaggery or sugar can be added and prepare tasty curry. I have added jaggery, roasted chana dal, dry coconut powder and spices for this curry. This curry goes well with any Indian bread or steamed rice.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 servings
- Bitter gourd: 3 Medium sized (cut into slices)
- Onion: 2 Medium sized ( sliced)
- Oil: 2 Tablespoon
- Curry leaves: 5 to 6 leaves
- Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, urad dal,chana dal: 1 tablespoon (for tempering)
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon
- Jaggery: A lemon sized ball ( 2 tablespoons powdered)
- Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 Teaspoon (according to taste)
- Dry coconut: a small piece or 2 tablespoon desiccated coconut powder
- Roasted chana dal/ chutney dal: 4 to 5 tablespoon
- Garlic: 4 to 5 cloves
- Wash, peel and slice bitter gourd.
- Cut onions into slices and keep ready.
- Slice dry coconut into small pieces.
- Grind roasted chana dal, garlic and dry coconut pieces to a fine powder and keep ready. This is the dry masala powder for this curry.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and fry sliced onions for 4 to 5 minutes on medium flame. Transfer fried onions to a bowl and keep aside.
- In the same pan add 1 tablespoon of oil and add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,urad dal and chana dal.
- When mustard starts crackling add bitter gourd slices and salt. Saute for a minute.
- Cover the pan and allow to fry bitter gourd for 10 minutes on medium flame stirring in between.
- Add jaggery and allow to cook for jaggery to melt.
- Allow to cook 4 to 5 minutes for jaggery to caramelize a little and give nice coating to all bitter gourd pieces.
- Add turmeric,red chilli powder and coriander powder and mix.
- Add fried onions and mix. Switch off the flame. Allow to cool for 2 minutes before adding dry masala powder.
- Add dry masala powder and mix.
- Transfer the bitter gourd fry to a serving bowl.
- Serve Andhra style Bitter Gourd Fry along with steamed rice and any dal.