Hyderabadi chicken korma is a rich white creamy gravy curry. It is prepared with yogurt, fresh coconut ,sesame seeds and cashew nuts. Tomatoes are not used for this curry. Flavorful and very very tasty chicken korma goes well with steamed rice or any Indian bread. In restaurants small baby potatoes are also added along with chicken.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8 servings
- Chicken: 1 kg (cleaned, washed and cut into medium sized pieces)
- Cashew nuts: 8 to 10 (fried in ½ teaspoon oil)
- Sesame seeds: 4 to 5 tablespoon (roasted)
- Fresh coconut: ½ cup chopped
- Yogurt/ curd: 1 cup
- Oil: 3 teaspoon
- Whole spices: 2 cloves, ½ inch cinnamon, 2 cardamom, 4 black pepper, 1 spoon cumin seeds
- Onions: 2 medium sized (sliced)
- Green chilli: 5 to 6 (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves: 5 to 6 leaves
- Ginger garlic paste: 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander leaves: few leaves (finely chopped)
- Dried fenugreek leaves/ kasoori methi: few leaves (crushed)
- Clean , wash and cut chicken into medium sized pieces.
- Remove black part from fresh coconut and chop into small pieces. Add coconut pieces,sesame seeds, cashew nuts, 3 tablespoons of water and grind into fine paste. This is the white creamy gravy for this curry. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and add chicken and allow to cook on high flame till all the water evaporates from chicken. Switch off the flame and keep aside.
- In the meantime heat 2 teaspoons of oil in another pan. Add whole spices and let cumin crackle.
- Add sliced onion, green chillies, curry leaves and fry till a little pink.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till golden brown.
- Add curd and prepared coconut white gravy and mix.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt. Add turmeric, red chilli powder,coriander powder and cumin powder and mix everything.
- Add fried chicken and mix. Cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook for 10 minutes on medium flame stirring in between.
- Add crushed kasoori methi,garam masala powder and finely chopped coriander leaves and mix. Allow to cook for 5 minutes on slow flame. Adjust the seasoning. Switch off the flame.
- Transfer curry to a serving bowl.
- Serve Hyderabadi chicken korma along with steamed rice or any Indian bread.