Palak chicken or Saagwala chicken is a very popular north Indian chicken gravy curry. It is prepared with chicken and spinach puree. It goes well with steamed rice or any Indian bread. Palak chicken curry is a good combination of iron and protein. Very little oil is required to prepare this tasty curry.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 5 to 6 servings
- Chicken: 1 kg
- Spinach: 2 medium sized bunches
- Tomato: 2 medium sized (pureed)
- Oil: 2 teaspoon
- Whole spices: 2 cardamom,1 inch cinnamon,3 cloves, 5 black pepper,1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Onion: 2 medium sized (sliced)
- Green chillies: 5 to 6 (according to taste)
- Curry leaves: 6 to 8 leaves
- Ginger: ½ inch (finely chopped)
- Garlic: 6 to 8 cloves(finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
- Roasted cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: ½ teaspoon
- Dried fenugreek leaves: few crushed
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Coriander leaves: a small bunch (finely chopped)
- Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Clean chicken and cut into medium sized pieces.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil in a pan and add cleaned chicken and allow to cook on high flame for all the water evaporates and to remove raw smell from chicken. It may take 5 to 7 minutes. Keep aside.
- Wash spinach in water 2 to 3 times and strain.
- Boil ½ cup of water in a pan and add washed spinach and allow to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. Switch off the flame and allow to cool for 2 minutes. Blend spinach to prepare puree and keep aside.
- Prepare tomato puree and keep ready.
- Heat 2 teaspoon of oil in a separate pan and add whole spices. Let cumin to crackle.
- Add sliced onion, curry leaves, chopped ginger,garlic and chopped green chilli.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes till onions are little soft and pink.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add tomato puree and allow to cook till oil separates.
- Add chicken ,1 teaspoon salt and 1 cup of water and mix. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and allow to cook for 10 to 12 minutes on slow flame till chicken is cooked.
- Add spinach puree,coriander powder,roasted cumin powder,garam masala powder and mix well. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.Adjust the seasoning.
- Add crushed dried fenugreek leaves and lemon juice and mix. Switch off the flame.
- Transfer the curry to a serving bowl. Garnish with some fresh cream.
- Serve Palak chicken along with steamed rice, lemon and salad.
- Do not cover the pan after adding spinach puree as it will spoil the color of spinach.
- We are not using any turmeric and red chilli powder for this curry as these spices will change color of spinach.
- You can use black pepper powder for additional spice.