Bitter gourd has got many nutritional benefits. It controls insulin levels of diabetic patients. Stuffed bitter gourd or Gutti kakarakaya is a dry curry. Each state has got their own version of this curry.South Indian style stuffed Bitter gourd is prepared with ground nuts, sesame seeds, dry coconut. Small piece of jaggery and tamarind paste are also used to balance bitterness of this vegetable. This curry is tasty and even liked by those people who usually do not prefer to eat bitter gourd. This is usually served as a side dish.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
- Bitter gourd: 3 medium sized or 8 small sized
- Ground nut: ½ cup (dry roasted)
- Sesame seeds: 4 tablespoon ( roasted)
- Dry coconut powder/ dessicated coconut powder: 2 tablespoon
- Roasted chana dal/ chutney dal: 3 tablespoon
- Garlic: 6 to 8 cloves
- Turmeric: ½ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
- Roasted cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Jaggery/ sugar: 1 tablespoon
- Tamarind paste/ lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
- Onion: 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Curry leaves: 5 to 6 leaves
- Coriander leaves: few finely chopped
- Onion: 1 medium sized sliced
- Oil: 2 teaspoon
- Wash and peel bitter gourd and cut into 3 inches pieces. (If you are using small sized bitter gourd no need to cut into pieces). Make a small cut on one side and scoop out seeds if any from inside gently with the help of a small spoon or knife. Sprinkle some salt and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Boil some water in a deep pan and put bitter gourd and allow to cook for 6 to 8 minutes. (Do not over cook).
- Remove bitter gourd from water and drain. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Dry roast ground nuts and sesame seeds separately. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Rub groundnut to remove outer skin and keep aside.
- Mix ground nuts,sesame seeds,dry coconut powder,chutney dal, 11/2 teaspoon jaggery, garlic,salt,turmeric red chilli powder, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder and grind into fine powder. This is our stuffing mixture.
- Transfer the prepared spice stuffing mixture in to a bowl. Add finely chopped onion,tamarind paste,coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Mix well.
- Stuff the mixture into bitter gourd gently.
- Heat 2 teaspoon of oil in a pan and arrange bitter gourd in the pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sugar or jaggery powder. Cover the pan and allow bitter gourd to cook for 5 to 7 minutes on slow flame.
- Flip bitter gourd gently and cover the pan and fry other side also on slow flame for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add sliced onions , cover the pan and allow to fry for 5 minutes till onions are little soft and pink. Switch off the flame.
- Transfer the curry to a serving bowl and serve as a side dish.
- Paneer/cottage cheese and mashed potato can be stuffed along with spices.
- Minced chicken also can be stuffed to prepare keema stuffed bitter gourd.