Tomato rice or tomato bath is a South Indian rice prepared with lot of tomatoes, Basmati rice and red chillies. Kashmiri red chillies are best for this rice because of their color and mild flavor. To maintain tomato taste and flavor there is no need to use ginger garlic paste,turmeric,coriander powder or garam masala to prepare this tasty rice. It goes well with any Raita or fresh yogurt.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 servings
- Basmati rice: 1 cup
- Tomato: 4 to 5 medium sized (pureed)
- Poppy seeds: 1 to 2 tablespoon
- Dry coconut: a small piece( chopped)
- Kashmiri red chilli: 3 to 4 (according to taste)
- Oil: 2 to 3 teaspoon
- Whole spices: ½ inch cinnamon, 4 black pepper,1 cardamom, 2 cloves,½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Cashew nuts: 6 to 8
- Onion: 2 medium sized (sliced)
- Green chilli: 2 to 3 slit
- Curry leaves: 6 to 8 leaves
- Coriander leaves: small bunch (finely chopped)
- Mint leaves: few
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Roasted cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
- Prepare tomato puree and keep aside.
- Dry roast poppy seeds, Kashmiri red chilli and dry coconut pieces for 3 to 4 minutes on slow flame. Switch off the flame and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
- Grind to a fine powder and keep aside. This is our spice powder for tomato rice.
- Heat oil in a pan and put whole spices. Let cumin seeds to crackle. Add cashew nuts and fry till golden brown.
- Add sliced onion,green chilli, curry leaves and fry till onions are little brown.
- Add tomato puree and allow to cook on high flame for 5 minutes. Stir.
- Allow tomato puree to cook on medium flame till all the water evaporates and oil comes out from tomatoes. Keep stirring in between to avoid burning.
- Add prepared spice powder and stir for a minute.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves and mint. Mix.
- Add 2 cups of water,salt and bring to a boil.
- Add washed rice,cumin powder and stir. Allow to cook on high flame for 5 to 7 minutes stirring in between gently. Adjust the seasoning.
- Cover the pan and allow to cook for 10 to 12 minutes on slow flame till rice is done.
- Transfer Tomato Rice to a serving bowl.
- Serve Tomato Rice along with any Raita.
- You can add a pinch of sugar and 1/2 spoon lemon juice for additional taste along with rice.
- If you are in hurry, you can add cooked rice or leftover rice after step 9. Sprinkle some roasted cumin powder and serve tomato rice.