Dahi Vada is prepared with split black gram fried dumplings dipped in yogurt. North Indian dahi vada is little different from south Indian style dahi vada. In North India fried dumplings are first soaked in water to make them soft. After some time vadas are squeezed and dipped in yogurt and topped with tamarind chutney and green chutney. Roasted cumin seeds powder, red chilli powder, chat masala are sprinkled for additional taste. If you want you can also garnish with finely chopped onion, Sev and the list goes on.. These are served as a side dish, appetizer or served as a chaat.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Soaking time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 20 to 24 vada
Ingredients for vada:
- Urad dal/ Split black gram: ½ cup
- Green chilli: 2 to 3 (according to taste)
- Ginger: 1 inch piece
- Coriander leaves: few finely chopped
- Curry leaves: 6 to 8 finely chopped
- Black pepper: 7 to 8
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: For frying
- Yogurt: 1 bowl (½ Lt)
- Tamarind chutney: 5 to 6 tablespoon
- Green chutney: 4 to 5 tablespoon
- Roasted cumin powder: 3 to 4 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 teaspoon
- Chat masala: ½ teaspoon
- Wash and soak urad dal in enough water for at least for 2 to 3 hours.
- Drain Udad dal and keep aside.
- Grind to a fine paste adding very little water.( Grind small amount at a time adding 1 to 2 teaspoon water).
- Transfer urad dal batter to a bowl.
- Grind green chili,ginger coarsely.(Do not grind green chilli along with urad dal batter as it will make the batter green. Grind chillies,ginger separately and mix with batter).
- Add ½ teaspoon salt, finely chopped coriander leaves ginger green chilli paste and black pepper to urad dal batter. Mix properly.
- Heat oil in a pan for frying vada.
- Wet your palm with water.Take a small amount of urad dal paste and shape into a dumpling.
- Drop dumpling In hot oil gently. Reduce flame to medium and fry vada to golden brown and crispy on all sides.
- Keep some warm water ready in a bowl for soaking vadas.
- Remove vada from oil and put into the water.
- Allow vadas to soak in water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Squeeze vadas gently to remove water with your palm and keep ready in a plate.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of salt in yogurt and keep ready.
- Arrange squeezed vadas in a serving tray.
- Pour yogurt over vadas evenly.
- Pour some tamarind chutney and green chutney on vadas.
- Sprinkle some roasted cumin powder,red chilli powder and chaat masala powder and serve yummy Dahi vada.
- The urad dal batter should not be too thick or watery.
- If you want you can sprinkle some nuts on top for additional taste.