Carrot & Spinach curry is a very healthy, tasty and easy curry to prepare. It goes well with steamed rice or any Indian flat bread or can be served as a salad. Use this healthy curry as a filling to sandwich, samosa or roll.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5 servings
- Carrot: 2 to 3 medium sized cut into small pieces
- Moong dal/split green gram: ¼ cup (wash and soak in ½ cup of water for 15 minutes)
- Spinach: a small bunch finely chopped
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Cumin: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic: 5 to 6 cloves finely chopped
- Ginger: 1 inch finely chopped
- Onion: 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Green chilli: 2 to 3 finely chopped
- Curry leaves: few leaves
- Salt: ½ teaspoon(according to taste)
- Cumin powder: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder: ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: ½ teaspoon (according to taste)
- Grated coconut: ¼ cup (optional)
- Coriander leaves: few leaves finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and garlic.Let cumin crackle.
- Add ginger and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add onions , finely chopped green chillies and saute for a minute.
- Add carrot pieces and moong dal along with water and saute for a minute.
- Add salt, turmeric and saute. Cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook for 8 to 10 minutes on slow flame.
- Mix once everything.
- Add finely chopped spinach ,grated coconut, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, coriander powder and mix properly. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes on slow flame. Keep aside 1 teaspoon of grated coconut for garnishing.
- Add coriander leaves and allow to cook for a minutes on slow flame. Switch off the flame. Adjust the seasoning. Add lemon juice and mix. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with some grated coconut. Serve carrot and spinach curry along with steamed rice or any Indian flat bread.
- Similarly you can prepare yellow pumpkin and spinach curry.
- You can also add 1/2 teaspoon of dry mango powder in place of lemon juice.