This curry is my husband’s one of the favorite egg curry. When ever he gets time or feel like cooking he prepares this curry. Eggs,onions, tomatoes and some basic spices are required to prepare this tasty and easy egg preparation. You can chop onions and tomatoes in whatever way you want and can season it with just salt and pepper and prepare this curry. This curry goes well with steamed rice or any Indian flat bread. Today he prepared this curry and i thought of posting it.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 3 serving
- Eggs: 3
- Onion: 2 to 3 medium sized roughly chopped or sliced
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds: ½ teaspoon for tempering
- Tomato: 2 to 3 medium sized roughly chopped or sliced
- Green chilli: 1 to 2 finely chopped
- Curry leaves: few leaves
- Garlic: 4 to 5 cloves roughly chopped
- Salt: ½ teaspoon(according to taste)
- Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: ¼ teaspoon (according to taste)
- Coriander powder: ½ teaspoon
- Roasted cumin powder: ½ teaspoon
- Pepper powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander leaves: few leaves finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard and cumin seeds. Let mustard crackle.
- Add garlic and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped onions, green chilli and saute.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric and ½ teaspoon of salt and saute. Allow to fry for 4 to 5 minutes to turn a little pink color. No need to fry till golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato and allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes till tomatoes are little soft.
- Add ½ cup to 1 cup of water and coriander powder and cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Adjust the seasoning. If required you can add 1/4 cup of water before adding eggs.It should have enough water in the curry to cook eggs.
- Break eggs directly into onion and tomato mixture gently each some distance apart. You can make a small well or gap in the gravy for each egg to have a neatly cooked eggs.Do not mix onions and tomato mixture with eggs(if you use a wide pan it will be better for the eggs to cook separately without getting mixed).
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook eggs in the curry for 4 to 5 minutes on a slow flame. Eggs will get cooked along with the juices of onions and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder, crushed pepper,roasted cumin powder and finely chopped coriander leaves and allow to cook on slow flame for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Serve each egg along with some gravy gently along with steamed rice, roti or as a side dish.
- Boiled eggs can also be added to prepare this curry , but cooking eggs in the gravy gives different taste.
- You can also add some tomato puree along with tomato pieces for a thicker gravy and for additional taste.
- ¼ teaspoon of garam masala also can be added for flavor.