Cluster beans curry / Gawar ki subji is prepared with simple ingredients like cluster beans,fresh coconut and onions. Cluster beans is loaded with high levels of folic acid. The presence of dietary fiber, potassium in this vegetable prevents various cardiovascular complications. Guar beans contain calcium, which helps in strengthening the bones and thus prevent bone loss. This curry goes well with steamed rice or Indian flat bread.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5 servings
- Cluster beans / Gawar phali: 250 gms(cut both the ends and remove string and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal: 1 tablespoon for tempering
- Dry red chilli: 1 broken
- Onion: 2 medium sized finely chopped
- Curry leaves: few leaves
- Turmeric: ½ teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon(according to taste)
- Jaggery: a small lemon sized piece
- Fresh coconut: a small piece
- Garlic: 6 to 8 cloves
- Red chilli powder: ½ teaspoon
- Tamarind : 1/2 lemon sized ball soaked in very little water and prepare pulp
- Roasted cumin powder: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder: ½ teaspoon
- Finely chop 2 medium sized onions and keep ready.
- Wash and cut both the edges of beans and remove strings. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a deep pan. Add ½ teaspoon of salt and add cluster beans and allow to cook for 8 to 10 minutes. No need to over cook.
- Drain beans to remove water and keep aside.
- Grind coconut and garlic to a paste and keep ready.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal, dry red chilli,cumin seeds. Allow mustard to crackle.
- Add finely chopped onion and curry leaves and fry till onions are little pink.
- Add boiled and drained cluster beans and saute. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and a small piece of jaggery and allow to cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, 1/2 tablespoon of tamarind pulp, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder and grated coconut paste. Mix everything and allow to cook for 4 to 5 minutes on a slow flame. Adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer curry to a serving bowl. Serve cluster beans curry / gawar ki subji along with roti or steamed rice.
- You can also use dry coconut / desiccated in place of fresh coconut.
- Similarly french beans curry can also be prepared. For french beans curry you can directly add finely chopped beans to fried onions and allow to cook for 5 to 7 minutes. No need to boil them in water.