Coconut puff pastry is a baked sweet bun stuffed with sweet coconut mixture, tutti fruti and nuts. In Indian bakeries it is sold as Dil Pasand. Iyengar bakeries in Bangalore, Karnataka are famous for this sweet coconut filled puff pastry. The aroma of the baked coconut pastry is unforgettable. Ready made pastry sheets available in the supermarkets can be used for the pastry or home made sheets can be prepared with all purpose flour/ whole wheat flour and butter, lemon juice and cold water. I have used ½ cup all purpose flour and ½ cup whole wheat flour to prepare flaky pastry sheets. The Tutti fruti we get in Indian store is basically raw papaya pieces cooked in sugar syrup and dried. Any other candied fruits can also be used along with tutti fruti.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 pieces
Ingredients for Flaky Pastry:
- All purpose flour / maida: 1 cup ( ½ cup maida + ½ cup whole wheat flour)
- Salt: a pinch
- Baking powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Baking soda: ¼ teaspoon
- Sugar: ½ teaspoon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Butter: ¾ cup (¼ cup for the dough + ½ cup for mixing with rice flour)
- Rice flour: 2 to 3 tablespoons (very fine rice flour is required)
- Cold water: ¼ cup + 2 to 3 teaspoon
Ingredients for coconut filling:
- Fresh coconut: 1 cup grated (½ medium sized coconut)
- Castor Sugar/ brown sugar: 3 to 4 tablespoon
- Milk: 1 cup
- Tutti frutti: 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Raisins: 1 tablespoon
Procedure for preparing coconut filling:
- Peel coconut to remove black skin and chop into pieces.
- Grind coconut for 3 to 4 minutes to prepare a fine flaky coconut mixture. If needed you can add some milk. No need to grind to a fine paste.
- Put coconut mixture, sugar and milk in a pan and allow to cook.
- Let it cook for 5 to 8 minutes stirring in between. Cook it till milk evaporates completely and nice coconut halwa type dry mixture is ready. Switch off the flame.
- Add tutti frutti and raisins and mix.
- Let it cool completely and transfer to a bowl and keep ready.
Procedure for preparing pastry:
- Mix all purpose flour,wheat flour, salt, a pinch of sugar and ¼ cup butter, baking powder and baking soda gently to make a crumble like texture. Add lemon juice and little cold water at a time to prepare hard dough. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Add ½ cup butter and rice flour to prepare a soft rice paste and keep aside.
- Roll the dough on a smooth surface dusting some dry flour.No need to worry if the shape of the rolled dough is not a perfect rectangle.
- Apply ½ the amount of prepared rice flour and butter paste all over the rolled dough. Spread evenly with fingers gently to give a nice coating of rice paste.
- Fold the pastry into center and cover it with the remaining portion as shown in the picture.
- Apply remaining rice flour and butter paste and fold as shown in the picture.
- Keep it covered and refrigerate for 5 to 7 minutes( if you want to do this process in 2 steps you can do..Apply ½ of the butter in the first step and keep the pastry in refrigerator for 5 minutes and repeat the process applying the remaining butter in the next step).
- Sprinkle some dry flour. Roll the pastry dough into a thin sheet. This is the basic flaky sheet and you can cut into small square sheets and keep in refrigerator for later use. This can be used for any type of stuffed pastry.
- Take a round plate of about 7 to 8 inch diameter and cut the dough into 2 equal round sheets. Remove the extra dough from the sheets. You can roll again the leftover dough to make roti or chapati or can be used to make potato puff pastry.
- Keep the filling in the center of 1 sheet and spread evenly leaving some margin in the edges to seal.
- Cover the pastry with another round pastry sheet and press gently the edges to seal a little.
- With the help of a fork press the edges to make lines or design.
- Transfer the pastry into a baking tray gently. Brush with some milk or melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 Fahrenheit to a golden brown. If it is not looking golden brown after 25 minutes bake it for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut the pastry into 6 to 8 pieces and serve.
- You can also prepare small individual puffs.
- If fine rice flour is not available , all purpose flour can be used to prepare buttery paste.
- You can also prepare stuffing with cooked spinach and mushroom and prepare mushroom pastry.
- Any other cooked vegetable stuffing can also be used.
- Apple pie can also be prepared with this flaky pastry dough.