Parwal or pointed gourd is usually used to prepare curry, sweet or fry. Potato parwal curry is liked in North Indian states and is prepared frequently. Today i am preparing parwal chutney. Parwal looks similar to Tindoora/Gherkins, but it is bigger in size.This tasty and healthy chutney can be served along with bread, bread sticks, finger chips, vada,steamed rice, dosa, idly or roti. It can be served as a dip or applied on a sandwich bread for a tangy taste.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 5 to 6 servings
- Parwal: 8 to 10 medium sized(cut into medium sized pieces)
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Methi seeds/fenugreek seeds: ¼ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Garlic: 3 to 4 cloves
- Dry red chilli: 2 to 3 broken(according to taste)
- Green chilli: 2 to 3 cut into pieces(according to taste)
- Onion: 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Tomato: 2 medium sized chopped
- Coriander leaves: few leaves finely chopped
- Tamarind or lemon juice according to taste
- Wash and cut parwal into medium sized pieces and keep ready. No need to peel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chilli and garlic. Allow mustard to crackle and garlic to turn little brown.
- Add chopped green chilli, chopped onion and curry leaves and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add parwal, salt and a pinch of turmeric and saute. Allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato, coriander leaves and mix. Cover the pan and allow to cook for 4 to 5 minutes on medium flame. If you want to add tamarind you can add it at this stage.
- Switch off the flame and allow to cool for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Grind the chutney coarsely.Adjust the seasoning. Add lemon juice and mix. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water depending on the required consistency. (If you are adding tamarind, no need to add lemon juice).
- Transfer the chutney to a serving bowl.
- Serve parwal chutney along with bread, steamed rice,roti or finger chips.
- Select tender parwal for preparing chutney for better taste.
- You can add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar also for enhanced taste.
- Similarly Tindoora/Dondakaya chutney can also be prepared.