Mango Dal is a very tasty and nutritious recipe prepared with Raw Mango and lentils. In summer season when Raw mango is available in plenty you can use mangoes to prepare Dal,Chutney,Rice and other tasty dishes. Dal is served usually along with steamed rice and Appalam or Papad.
Preparation Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – 20 Minutes
Serves – 6 To 8 Servings
- Raw Mango Pieces: 1/2 Cup
- Lentils ( Tuvar Dal ): 1 Cup
- Red chili: 6 to 8 (according to taste)
- Onion: 1 Medium sized(cut into big pieces)
- Tomato: 1 Medium sized(cut into big pieces)
- Green Chili: 2 to 3
- Curry leaves: 7 or 8
- Cumin Seeds , Mustard Seeds, Udad Dal – 1 Tablespoon (for tempering)
- Garlic: 3 to 4 Cloves
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon (For tempering)
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon (according to taste)
- Turmeric: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Wash Lentils with water. Put washed dal in a Pressure Cooker and add enough water (Approximately 2 Cups ).
- Now add mango, onion, tomato pieces, red Chili , green chili, turmeric .
- Cover the lid and pressure cook for about 10 to 15 minutes on a medium fire for 2 whistles to come. Switch off the fire and allow to cool for 5 min before opening the lid.
- Open the lid . Add Salt and mix well .
- Heat oil in a small pan . Add Cumin Seeds ,Mustard Seeds, Udad dal ,Chopped Garlic, Curry leaves. When Mustard seeds starts splattering switch off the fire and pour the Tadka immediately over the Dal.
- Transfer the Dal in to a serving bowl and serve Dal along with Steamed Rice, some Pickle of your choice and Papad.