Dosakaya chutney is a traditional south Indian chutney prepared with yellow cucumber and green chillies. This chutney can be served as a dip for any fried snacks or as a side dish. It goes very well with steamed rice and ghee.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8 servings
- Yellow cucumber (dosakaya): 1 small sized (cut into pieces)
- Onion: 1 medium sized (cut into cubes)
- Tomato: 1 medium sized (cut into cubes)
- Green chills: 4 to 5 (according to taste)
- Sesame Seeds (Til): 1/2 cup
- Tamarind: Small lemon sized (soak in 1/4 cup of water )
- Oil: 2 tablespoons
- Curry leaves: 8 to 10
- Jaggary: a small piece (optional)
- Salt: 1/2 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Turmeric: a pinch
- Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal: 1 tablespoon (for tempering)
- Wash and peel the dosakaya. Remove seeds .Taste a piece of Dosakaya to see if it is bitter (Some times Cucumbers will be bitter. If it is bitter you have to discard the Cucumber). Cut 1/2 Cucumber into medium pieces and 1/2 Cucumber into finely chopped pieces.
- Take a pan and fry Sesame Seeds till golden brown. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a pan. Fry green chilies for 2 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil. Fry medium sized Cucumber pieces, Onion pieces, Tomato pieces separately one after another for 4 to 5 minutes stirring continuously. Switch off the flame and allow to cool.
- Take a mixie jar. Grind sesame seeds to powder.
- Add fried cucumber, onion, tomato, green chilies. Grind a little.
- Now add some salt, soaked tamarind, jaggary, a pinch of turmeric. Grind coarsely.
- Transfer the chutney in to a bowl. Add the small sized Cucumber pieces and mix well. (No need to grind after adding finely chopped cucumber pieces.
- Take a pan. Pour 1 Teaspoon and heat . Add Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Udad Dal , Curry leaves. When Mustard Seeds starts crackling remove from the fire and pour over the chutney.
- Serve the chutney along with steamed rice and Papad.