Ulava charu is a very popular appetizing south Indian rasam prepared with cooked and mashed horse gram and tamarind. This rasam helps to reduce cold and sore throat symptoms. Horse gram is prescribed for persons suffering from jaundice or water retention. It is also prescribed as part of a weight loss diet. It is helpful for iron deficiencies, and also considered useful for maintaining body temperature in the winter season.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Serves: 4 To 5 Persons
- Ulavalu (Horse Gram): 1 Cup (soaked for 2 hours)
- Tomatoes: 2 To 3 (cut in to small pieces or pureed)
- Onion: 1 Medium sized(cut in to small pieces)
- Green Chilies: 2 to 3 (finely chopped)
- Tamarind: A lemon sized ball
- Turmeric: 1 Teaspoon
- Rasam Powder: 1 Tablespoon
- Jaggary: A small piece
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon (according to taste)
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon (for tempering)
- Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds,Udad Dal: 1 Tablespoon (for tempering)
- Garlic: 3 To 4 Cloves
- Curry Leaves: 6 To 8 Leaves
- Wash lentils with water and soak in enough water for about 2 to 3 hours.
- Take a pressure cooker and put the lentils . Add enough water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles to come. Reduce the flame and cook for another 20 minutes. Switch off the flame and allow to cool before opening the lid.
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of water and prepare pulp.
- Open the lid and mash the lentils well. Add tomato pieces, tamarind water,salt, jaggary, turmeric and mix well. Bring to a boil. If required add some water for the required consistency. Adjust the seasoning.
- Take pan and pour 1 Tablespoon of oil. Heat the oil and add mustard seeds, cumin Seeds, urad dal, curry leaves. When the mustard seeds starts crackling add onions, green chilies. Fry for 1 or 2 minutes. Add this to lentils mixture and mix and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finally add Rasam powder and reduce the flame and allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes on slow flame. minutes.
- Transfer the Ulava Charu to a serving bowl.
- Serve Ulava Charu along with steamed rice and Appalam.
Cooking horse gram takes a little more time than other lentils. It should be properly cooked on slow flame for longer duration for better taste..