Tasty beetroot rasam is prepared by beetroot puree and lemon juice. Cumin powder, pepper powder and coriander powder are added for additional flavor and taste.Coriander seeds and cumin seeds are believed to reduce cholesterol levels in blood. Reduce the amount of green chilli, pepper and other spices to serve even to small kids. It goes well with steamed rice or can be served as a soup or shorba. Inspiration to prepare this rasam came from my friend Bindu , who lives in Detroit, Michigan state. She prepared this rasam when we visited her place last summer and also told carrot rasam can also be prepared similarly. Also try horse gram rasam and pepper rasam to get relief from cold and sore throat symptoms.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5 servings
- Beetroot: 1 medium sized
- Cumin seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Coriander seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Pepper: ½ tablespoon
- Garlic: 3 to 4 cloves crushed
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds,cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon for tempering
- Onion: 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Green chillies: 1 to 2 finely chopped(according to taste)
- Curry leaves: few leaves
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves: few leaves finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Peel and cut beetroot into 4 pieces. Add 1 cup of water and beetroot and pressure cook for 10 minutes till beetroot pieces are cooked. Switch off the flame and wait for 5 minutes before opening the lid.
- Prepare puree of beetroot and keep aside.
- Grind cumin seeds, coriander seeds and pepper to a fine powder and keep aside. This is our instant rasam powder for this recipe.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add mustard and cumin seeds. Allow mustard to splutter.
- Add crushed garlic and curry leaves and fry for a minute till nice aroma comes.
- Add finely chopped onion and green chillies and fry till onions become golden brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon of prepared instant rasam powder and fry for a minute.
- Add beetroot puree and 2 cups of water depending on the desired consistency and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt a and finely chopped coriander leaves and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on a slow flame. Adjust the seasoning. Switch off the flame.
- Add lemon juice according to your taste and mix. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve healthy and appetizing Beetroot Rasam along with steamed rice or serve as a soup.
- 1 or 2 pureed tomatoes also can be added along with beetroot puree to prepare rasam.
- You can also add 1/4 cup of lentils of your choice along with beetroot in pressure cooker and blend to make beetroot rasam a little thick and to increase protein value.
- Similarly carrot rasam can also be prepared. You can add a pinch of turmeric powder also for preparing carrot rasam.