Very healthy, appetizing and tasty carrot rasam is prepared by carrot pulp and lemon juice. Spices like cumin powder, pepper powder and coriander powder are added for additional flavor and taste. Reduce the amount of green chilli and pepper to serve even to small kids. It goes well with steamed rice or can be served as a soup or shorba. You can also try my horse gram rasam and tomato rasam , beet root rasam and pepper rasam. Coriander seeds and cumin seeds are believed to reduce cholesterol levels in blood.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5 servings
- Carrot: 2 to 3 medium sized
- Cumin seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Coriander seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Pepper: ½ tablespoon
- Garlic: 3 to 4 cloves crushed
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds,cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon for tempering
- Onion: 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Green chillies: 1 to 2 finely chopped(according to taste)
- Curry leaves: few leaves
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: a pinch
- Coriander leaves: few leaves finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon (according to taste)
- Peel and cut carrot into pieces. Add 1 cup of water and carrot and pressure cook for 10 minutes till carrot pieces are cooked. Switch off the flame and wait for 5 minutes before opening the lid.
- Prepare puree of carrots and keep aside.
- In the meantime grind cumin seeds, coriander seeds and pepper to a fine powder and keep aside. This is our instant rasam powder for this recipe.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add mustard and cumin seeds. Allow mustard to splutter.
- Add crushed garlic and curry leaves and fry for a minute till nice aroma comes.
- Add finely chopped onion and green chillies and fry till onions become golden brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon of prepared instant rasam powder and fry for a minute.
- Add carrot pulp and 1 to 2 cups of water depending on the desired consistency and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt a pinch of turmeric powder and finely chopped coriander leaves and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on a slow flame. Adjust seasoning. Switch off the flame.
- Add lemon juice and mix. Transfer to a serving bowl. You can add lemon juice according to your taste.
- Serve tasty Carrot Rasam along with steamed rice or serve as a soup.
- 1 or 2 pureed tomatoes also can be added along with carrot pulp to prepare rasam.
- You can also add 1/4 cup of lentils of your choice along with carrot in pressure cooker while cooking and blend to make carrot rasam a little thick and to increase protein value.
- Similarly beetroot rasam can also be prepared. No need to add turmeric for preparing beetroot rasam.