Chicken curry is a gravy curry prepared with onion, tomato, coconut paste and spices. Spicy chicken curry goes well with roti, poori,steamed rice or any flavored rice.
Preparation Time – 15 Minutes
Cooking Time – 25 Minutes
Serves – 5 to 6 Servings
- Chicken: 1 kg
- Onion: 2 (finely chopped)
- Tomato: 2 (finely chopped)
- Green Chilies: 3 to 4
- Dry Coconut or dessicated coconut powder: 50 gms
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 2 Tablespoon
- Coriander Powder: 1 Tablespoon
- Cumin Powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon(according to taste)
- Oil: 2 Tablespoons
- Turmeric Powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Cut the Chicken into medium sized pieces and wash 2 to 3 times with water. Drain excess water and keep aside. Heat 1 Teaspoon oil in a pan and add Chicken and fry on fire till all the water evaporates from the Chicken. Keep aside.
- Cut dry coconut into very small pieces. Grind coconut to prepare dry coconut powder. Add some water and grind coconut to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 Teaspoons of oil in another pan and add finely chopped onion, green chilies, curry leaves and fry. Fry till the onions become a little golden brown color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add finely chopped tomato pieces and fry till oil separates.
- Now add dry coconut paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add fried chicken pieces,turmeric powder, red chili powder, finely chopped coriander leaves,salt and mix properly.
- Add 2 cups of water and mix everything well.Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and cook Chicken Curry on slow fire for about 10 minutes.
- Add cumin seeds powder, garam masala powder and mix well.
- Cover the lid and again cook for 10 minutes on slow fire.Serve Chicken Curry along with Poori, Roti or Steamed Rice.