Dosakaya Pappu(Yellow Cucumber Dal) is a very easy traditional Andhra Dal preparation. You just have to add all the ingredients and pressure cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Add Salt and tempering to it and serve. Yellow Cucumber’s mild sour taste gives this dal a tangy twist. When you are in no mood to prepare elaborate meal you can prepare this dal and serve along with Steam Rice and Papad.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time -15 minutes
Serves – 6 Servings
- Dosakaya (Yellow Cucumber): 1/2 Small size cut into cubes
- Tuvar Dal (pigeon Pea): 1 Cup
- Onion: 1 Medium sized (Cut into pieces)
- Tomato: 1 Medium sized (Cut into pieces)
- Green Chilies: 4 to 5 (Cut into pieces)
- Turmeric: A pinch
- Red Chili powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon
- Oil: 1 Teaspoon (for tempering)
- Tamarind: Small Lemon sized(Optional)
- Curry Leaves: 8 to 10
- Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Urad Dal -1 Tablespoon (for tempering)
- Garlic -4 to 5 Cloves
- Take a pressure cooker. Wash dal with water and add enough water.(Add about 21/2 cups of water).
- Add dosakaya ,onion,tomato, green chilies, turmeric,red chili powder, tamarind.
- Cover the Cooker with lid and cook the dal for 2 whistles to come. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before opening the lid.
- Open the lid and add salt. Mix well.
- Transfer dal into a serving bowl.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, urad dal, mustard Seeds.
- When Mustard seeds starts crackling add curry leaves. Remove from the fire and Pour over the Dal.
- Serve the Dal along with Roti or Steamed Rice and Appalam.