Vankaya Pullagura(Brinjal Tamarind Curry) is a very tasty and easy South Indian traditional tangy curry made by cooking all the vegetables in a single pot. All the vegetables, tamarind and water are added and cooked till the vegetables are soft. Then the vegetables are mashed and oil tempering is added and served. It is usually served along with steamed rice or roti. It looks very similar to Baingan bartha of North India but prepared in a simpler way. Some people add spinach , brinjal,onions,tomatoes,green chilies,tamarind to prepare Mixed Pullagura. Pullagura is prepared using just 1 tablespoon of oil so it can be considered as a healthy option. Whenever feeling like eating a tangy curry give it a try. Other variations like Okra Pullagura, Totakura (Amaranthus)Pullagura ,Gongura Pullagura can also be prepared in similar way.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
- Brinjal: 250 gms
- Onion: 1 medium sized (cut into 8 Pieces)
- Onion: 1 small sized (finely chopped)
- Tomato: 2 medium sized (cut into 8 pieces)
- Green Chilies: 4 to 5 (cut into Pieces)
- Tamarind: a small lemon sized
- Salt: ½ teaspoon (according to taste)
- Oil: 1 tablespoon (for tempering)
- Mustard Seeds,Cumin Seeds, Urad Dal – 1 tablespoon (for tempering)
- Curry leaves -8 to 10
- Red chili – 1 (optional)
- Garlic – 2 to 3 cloves
- Cut Brinjal,onion,tomato and green chilies into 8 pieces.
- Finely chop 1 small onion and keep aside along with garlic and curry leaves. This will be used for tempering.
- Take a pan and add all the cut vegetables,tamarind and add 3 Cups of water and allow to boil.
- Add Salt,turmeric powder and cover the pan with lid and allow to cook on slow flame for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and mash everything well using back of the ladle.
- Now its time for tempering. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and fry.
- When mustard starts splattering add curry leaves and 1 red chili fry for 30 Seconds. Add finely chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add Pullagura and cook for 1 minute and mix everything properly. Adjust the seasoning.9. Transfer Brinjal Pullagura to a serving bowl .Serve Brinjal Pullagura along with roti or steamed rice.