Cabbage Rice is a very easy and different variety of Rice preparation. Freshly grated coconut, grated cabbage and spices are used to prepare this dish.It goes very well with any gravy curry or it can simply be served along with raita. My friend Mrs. Nirmala rao used to prepare this rice very often for parties in their house. She used to serve this rice along with some Potato Korma (Potatoes in Curd gravy). I liked it so much and started preparing this rice.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5 servings
- Cabbage: 1 small sized (grated)
- Rice: 2 cups(basmati rice)
- Onion: 2 medium sized(sliced)
- Green chilies: 3 to 4(slit)
- Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Roasted Cumin powder: 2 teaspoons
- Coriander powder: 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric: ½ teaspoon
- Salt: 1/2 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Oil or Ghee: 2 tablespoon
- Curry leaves: 8 to 10
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: a small bunch (finely chopped)
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Fresh Coconut: 1 1/2 cup (grated or grind coarsely)
- Whole spices: 2 Cardamom, 3 Cloves, 1 small stick Cinnamon, 2 Bay Leaves ,8 Black Pepper
- Garam masala powder: ½ teaspoon
- Cashew Nut: 8 to 10 (optional)
- Peel 1/2 fresh coconut to remove black hard part and cut into pieces. Grind coarsely and keep aside.
- Wash cabbage and grate cabbage with a grater and keep aside.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan and add cashew nuts ,whole spices and cumin seeds.Fry till cashews become golden brown.
- Add sliced onions, green chilies, curry leaves and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add grated fresh coconut and grated cabbage and fry for about 5 to 7 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder and mix everything properly.
- Take a deep pan. Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Transfer fried coconut mixture to boiling water. Allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Wash rice with water and put into the boiling water.
- Add salt and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Allow to cook cabbage rice for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Cover the pan with lid and allow to cook on slow fire for about 10 to 12 minutes till done.
- Keep it aside for 5 minutes before transferring to a serving bowl.
- Serve cabbage rice along with Raita. Here I have served cabbage rice along with Gutti Vankaya Curry and Raita.