Gutti Vankaya is a traditional South Indian Brinjal Curry prepared with groundnut , sesame Seeds and dry coconut gravy. Little amount of tamarind and jaggery are also added for sweet and sour taste.It goes well with Roti, Paratha,Steamed Rice or any flavored Rice.
Preparation Time – 15 Minutes
Cooking Time – 15 Minutes
Serves – 6 To 8 Servings
- Brinjal: 250 gms
- Onion: 1 Medium sized
- Tamarind: A small lemon sized
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon
- Oil: 1 Teaspoon
- Groundnut: 1 Cup
- Sesame Seeds: 3 Tablespoon
- Dry Coconut: A small piece
- Turmeric: ½ Teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Jaggery: A small Piece
- Garlic: 10 t0 12 Cloves
- Coriander Powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Cumin Powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Curry Leaves: 8 To 10
- Dry roast groundnut and sesame seeds separately. Cool for some time. Remove the skin from groundnut and keep aside.
- Grind Dry Coconut to a fine powder. Add fried Groundnuts,Sesame Seeds and grind to fine powder.
- Add salt,turmeric, garlic, onion pieces, cumin powder, coriander powder, jaggery and grind to a paste. Keep aside.
- Wash Brinjal with water and make a slit for stuffing the Groundnut Masala inside.Stuff all the Brinjals with the Groundnut Masala and keep aside.
- Take a Pan and arrange all the brinjals and pour the tamarind pulp,curry leaves and enough water. If the groundnut masala is left after stuffing all the brinjals add that masala into the pan and bring to boil.
- Adjust the seasoning and cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook on slow flame for about 10 Minutes.
- Transfer the curry into a serving bowl carefully. (Cooked brinjals are very soft and needs to handle gently)
- Serve Gutti Vankaya Curry along with Roti, Poori, Methi Paratha ,Steamed Rice, or any flavored Rice. Here I have served Gutti Vankaya along with Cabbage Rice and Raita.