Potato korma is a tasty gravy curry prepared with baby potatoes and yogurt/curd. Seasoned with freshly prepared roasted cumin and poppy seeds powder adds rich flavor to the korma. This curry goes well with flavored rice like tomato rice,cabbage rice or any Indian flat breads. This curry goes well even with plain steamed rice. My friend Nirmala rao used to prepare and serve this curry along with cabbage rice. She prepares with normal medium sized potatoes,and after frying them used to cut into 4 pieces. Today i am using baby potatoes to prepare this curry. Not many ingredients are used for preparing this tasty and yummy curry. No need to use tomatoes or coconut for preparing this easy curry.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8 servings
- Baby potatoes: 10 to 12 or 5 medium sized potatoes(boiled and peeled)
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Onion: 2 to 3 medium sized sliced
- Green chilli: 3 to 4 (grind coarsely and prepare paste)
- Curry leaves: few leaves
- Cumin seeds: 2 teaspoon
- Poppy seeds/ Khus khus: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon(according to taste)
- Turmeric: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala: a pinch(optional)
- Coriander leaves: few leaves finely chopped
- Curd/yogurt: 2 to 3 cups
- Boil potatoes in water for 10 to 12 minutes till cooked medium soft. No need to overcook potatoes. Allow to cool, peel potatoes and keep ready.
- Dry roast cumin seeds and poppy seeds in a small pan to a light brown. Allow to cool for a minute and grind to a fine powder and keep aside. This is our dry masala powder for today’s curry.
- Grind green chillies coarsely and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a deep pan and fry boiled potatoes on a medium flame to a golden brown. It may take 5 to 7 minutes. Keep stirring gently and fry on all sides of potatoes uniformly.
- Add sliced onions, green chilli paste and curry leaves and fry for another 5 to 6 minutes on medium flame for onions to become soft and light brown.
- Add prepared dry masala powder, salt, turmeric, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, a pinch of garam masala powder and finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes stirring in between. Adjust the seasoning. Switch off the flame and allow the curry to cool completely.
- Add curd and mix properly. Add curd according to the desired consistency.
- Adjust seasoning before transferring the potato korma to a serving bowl.
- Serve tasty korma along with roti or steamed rice.
- You can also add some steamed green peas for preparing tasty Aloo Matar korma.
- Add chilled curd just before serving the curry for that refreshing taste.