Simple and very easy bhindi curry is prepared with okra and tomatoes. First time i tasted this curry in a roadside Dhaba near Jodhpur,Rajasthan some 12 years back. They kept this curry as simple as possible.This is prepared with very basic ingredients like onion,tomato and bhindi. It is a semi dry curry and goes well with steamed rice or roti. I regularly prepares this curry. Only 1 teaspoon of oil is required for this curry. Not only tomatoes gives moistness to the curry and also gives tangy taste and nice color. Usual crispy dry bhindi fry needs more oil and also it takes long time to prepare But this curry can be prepared in 10 to 12 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3 serving
- Okra/ Bhindi: 250 gms(washed and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic: 4 to 5 finely chopped or sliced
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Onion: 2 medium sized(sliced)
- Green chilli: 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Tomato: 2 to 3 medium sized(finely chopped)
- Salt: ½ teaspoon(according to taste)
- Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: ½ teaspoon
- Roasted cumin powder: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder: ½ teaspoon
- Roasted saunf/fennel seeds powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Wash and cut bhindi into 1 inch pieces and keep ready. Cut onions into slices and keep aside. Slice tomatoes and keep ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and finely chopped garlic. Fry garlic to a light brown.
- Add sliced onions and fry for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add bhindi and saute. Cover the pan and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder,roasted saunf powder, coriander powder and mix. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of water and again cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Open the lid and mix curry gently and adjust the seasoning.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the curry to a serving bowl.
- Serve tasty okra and tomato curry along with steamed rice or roti.
- A pinch of garam masala, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and finely chopped coriander leaves can also be added for additional taste.