Kadai Paneer is a very simple Paneer recipe among all Paneer recipes. Kadai Paneer can be prepared both dry as well as gravy variety. It goes well with Roti, Paratha or Jeera Rice. For dry kadai paneer curry we need only 1 or 2 medium sized tomatoes. Freshly roasted and pound spices adds a lot of flavor to this curry.It is better to use dried Kashmiri Red Chilies to prepare this powder for enhanced color, taste and flavor.We are not using any water, Turmeric and Red Chili powder to prepare this curry This dish is called Kadai Paneer because whole dish is prepared in a Kadai. No need to puree Onions or Tomatoes to prepare this humble dish.If you want you can add 1 Tablespoon of Fresh Cream just before serving. You can try my kadai paneer(gravy) curry also.
Preparation Time – 12 Minutes
Cooking Time – 15 Minutes
Serves – 3 Servings
- Paneer (Cottage Cheese): 200 gms(cut in to cubes)
- Onions: 2 Medium sized (cut into Cubes)
- Tomato: 1 to 2 Medium sized (cut into Cubes)
- Capsicum: 1/2 Medium sized (cut in to Cubes)
- Tomatoes: 4 Medium Sized (finely Chopped)
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds: 1 Teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts: 6 To 8 (optional)
- Ginger: 1 Inch (cut into juliennes)
- Garlic: 8 To 10 cloves(finely chopped)
- Dried Fenugreek Leaves (kasoori Methi): 1 Teaspoon
- Kadai Masala Powder: 2 Tablespoons
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon(according to taste)
- Coriander leaves: Few (for garnishing)
Ingredients for Kadai Masala Powder:
- Coriander seeds: 4 Tablespoons
- Cumin Seeds: 2 Tablespoons
- Kashmiri Red Chilies: 4 (broken in to 2 pieces)
- Black Peppercorns: 1 Tablespoon
- Green Cardamom: 3 to 4
- Fennel Seeds(Saunf): 1 Tablespoon
- Dry roast all the whole Kadai Masala ingredients on slow fire. Keep aside and allow to cool for 10 minutes to cool completely.
- Grind to a coarse powder and keep aside. (If you do not want coarse powder you can grind for 1 more minute. But do not grind to a very fine powder). We need just 2 Tablespoons of this powder to prepare this dish. The remaining powder can be stored in an air tight glass jar for later use.
- Heat oil in a pan and add Cumin Seeds, 1 Red chilli and Cashew nuts. Fry till they turn little golden color.
- and add finely chopped Garlic ,Ginger juliennes and Green chilli. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add Onion,Tomato and Capsicum Cubes and . Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes. (Onions and Capsicum should not become soft. Ensure that they are still crunchy).
- Add Paneer cubes. Toss gently to mix.
- Add kadai masala powder, salt and crushed kasoori methi. Mix gently.
- Transfer the Kadai Paneer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle some ginger juliennes and some kadai masala on top.Garnish with some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Kadai Paneer along with roti or Jeera Rice. Note: Kadai Masala Powder is like a multi purpose powder and can be used to prepare Kadai Chicken,mixed vegetable kadai or any other vegetarian and non vegetarian curries. You can replace Paneer with ladyfingers to prepare tasty Kadai bhindi. Any fried vegetable balls can also be added to prepare Kadai Kofta Curry.