Paneer Jalfrezi is a very easy and somewhat mild Paneer dish. All the vegetables are cut into strips and stir fried. As cooking is also faster it preserves the flavor and texture of the peppers and onions. It is a quick fry dish that is made with simple tomato sauce. In addition to tomatoes, vinegar is also used for tangy taste. If Tomato Puree is readily available in the house preparation of this curry is even faster. Actual cooking time of this curry may be about 8 minutes.You can also use small ladyfingers in place of Paneer to prepare tasty Bhindi jalfrezi.
Preparation Time – 12 Minutes
Cooking Time – 10 Minutes
Serves – 3 to 4 Servings
- Paneer/Cottage cheese: 200 gms(cut into strips)
- Onion: 1 or 2 medium sized(cut into strips)
- Capsicum: ½ medium sized (cut into strips)
- Tomato: 1 medium sized (cut into strips)
- Tomatoes: 2 to 3 medium sized (grind to prepare Puree)
- Ginger: 1 inch (cut into thin strips)
- Garlic: 8 to 10 cloves (finely chopped)
- Red chili: 1 (break into 2 pieces)
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Kadai masala powder: 2 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Red chilli powder: 1/2 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Oil: 2 tablespoons
- Vinegar: ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric: a pinch
- Lemon Juice: 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Leaves: a small bunch (finely chopped)
- Tomato sauce/ ketchup: 2 tablespoons(optional)
- Cut cottage cheese, 1/2 capsicum,1 onion, 1 tomato into strips and keep aside. Blend 4 tomatoes in a blender to prepare puree.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and red chili. Wait for the Cumin Seeds to crackle.
- Add finely chopped garlic and fry for a minute on medium fire to get golden color.
- Add tomato puree. Mix well and cook for some time till tomato puree thickens a little. It may take 3 to 4 minutes on a high flame.
- Add onion, tomato ,capsicum and ginger strips to the pan and toss. Allow to cook for 2 minutes on medium flame. All the vegetables should be still crunchy(no need to overcook vegetables).
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, green chilies. Toss to mix.
- Add vinegar and mix again. Add Cottage Cheese,Salt and Kadai Masala powder and toss gently to mix. If you don’t have kadai masala powder, then you can add 1/4 teaspoon roasted cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder and a pinch of garam masala powder.
- Add finely chopped fresh coriander leaves, lemon Juice and tomato ketchup and mix. Adjust the seasoning. (If you like to add tomato ketchup reduce the amount of vinegar and lemon juice).
- Transfer Paneer Jalfrezi to a serving bowl .
- Serve Paneer Jalfrezi along with Naan, Roti or Jeera Rice. Note: Following this recipe You can prepare chicken jalfrezi, Mixed vegetable jalfrezi. It tastes like it took much longer to make it than actually does. Paneer Jalfrezi and Kadai Paneer looks a little similar but for Paneer Jalfrezi we are using Vinegar,tomato puree and lemon juice,red chili powder,turmeric and Tomato ketchup (Optional) for additional color and tangy taste.